GreaseSpot Cafe

Are we under the Law?

God first

How are we under the Law?

Wrote 06-27-2006

Beloved friends

God loves us all my dear friend

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

But was that the end to the Law? I say No because the law is still needed but we are no longer bond to it but we reach to learn it and live by it out of love but as a free child.

Matt 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

We must search the scriptures to see what these two commandments cover and learn what it means to love God with all our heart, soul, and spirit the mind and what it is to love our neighbor.

Now there are things in the books of old that we do in our heart like the outward cleaning for sins or touching a dead body the burn offerings. Christ was the last outward offering all others are done in the heart as is circumcision it is no more of the outward flesh but of the inward heart.

Look

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

The outward actions getting them to live by the law as become a inward action in our hearts but we need the schoolmaster to teach our hearts or the mind of our hearts what is right and just.

There is a end of commandments and it is love.

1 Ti 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

Just like the commandments of what not to eat we are to do what is best for our bodies not out of bond to the law but out of love to the truth.

Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

The one born after the freewoman were still bond to the law but they were to be free by the coming promise of the coming Christ.

Heb 6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

Heb 6:17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to show unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

These two verses show there is no immutable laws so we learn by all laws from the beginning and we look to see which ones to do within our hearts and which one’s to all so do in a outward action like loving one another.

We are either bond to the flesh or free to live by the heart of the spirit of Christ in us.

I will stop here and wait to see what you say.

Thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Edited by year2027

• 4 weeks later...

There was a time when the Sabbath-Keepers really had me going on Law. They almost had me too because without studying it for myself their arguments are truly compelling. Did you know that the Seventh-Day-Adventists are waiting for enough people to keep the Sabbath so that Lord Jesus can return? He won't return until enough people keep the fourth commandment.

Then there are the Reconstructionists who want the world to be really Christian and decent. Some return to Law. They are postmillennialists. The world gets better and better as the Kingdom-of-God continues to spread and prevail and then Christ returns.

I think there is a Natural Law. And the closer we follow it the closer we are to fine.

Hi Roy. :)

Sure we are under laws. No matter what religion, or even if you are of no religion, there are laws. Laws of physics, laws of relativity, laws of man, and even laws of God. What laws one chooses to follow is between the individual and God. If you break a law that God wants you to follow, He will gently (and sometimes not so gently - if you fall from a 2 story building, it will HURT) let you know.

Carl,

What you said about the 7th Day Adventists is interesting. There are Jews who hold similar beliefs about the Sabbath. Who are the Reconstructionists? You make reference to them being Christian - there are Jewish Reconstructionists as well, though obviously they are striving for the first coming and not the second. Again, more overlap in religion, which I always think is cool.

As for me, I figure (as Roy so aptly put it on another thread) what will be will be. I don't worry about the Messianic era or the 2nd coming, nor do I do anything in particular to strive to bring it about. I have enough on my plate just taking care of what I need to do each day.

God first

Beloved Carl Smuda

God loves us all my dear friend

Yes there is a Natural Law the law of love for some and the law of hate for otherss

Yes there is a Natural Law the law of love all people like themself and the love of self only

I glad you share about Sabbath-Keepers I never heard of that before

I glad you share about Reconstructionists I never heard of that before

thank you

sorry I was so slow answering

thank you

Beloved Abigail

God loves youl my dear friend

Yes my friend God does "gently (and sometimes not so gently - if you fall from a 2 story building, it will HURT) let you know."

thank you

Beloved Goey

God loves you my dear friend

thanks for the link too

thank you

As far as I gather, there are laws & laws. The natural laws (laws of physics, laws of relativity mentioned by Abi), and the laws men, and the laws of God.

Laws of men...ah, well - I don't feel like taking about them at the moment.

Actually, as far as I understand it, the OT laws of God are spiritual laws, but are based on the rudimentary elements of the creation also. The NT calls those elements weak and beggarly. They will pass, & they don't make anyone perfect. Now to me they seem mighty, but the NT tells us not to be in bondage to them, but to seek those things which are of the law of the life in Christ which are based on a more sure foundation that will not pass.

God first

Beloved Tom

God loves you my dear friend

glad you join us my dear friend

Yes the laws of the OT if done by bondage to them are weak and beggarly but if done out of the love Christ taught us they are strong and helpful

thank you

Yes this is it. There is a wonderful congregation in Fallon Nevada. They're Presbyterians. And I thought they were wonderful. In fact, before I realized I'd be moving to Gardnerville I asked to share their covenant. Of course, I'm hindu now so what the hey. A doctor of Christian Church history, who played a great role in my own evolution, thought very little of Theonomy. He said to put Law at one end of the Universe and Grace at the other end of the Universe and then they can start talking.

I karma explains a lot even though we won't know for sure until we die. With karma comes dharma. That means duty or Natural Law. A Christians dharma is to walk-by-the-Spirit.

I read over 90% of Bahnsen's book on Theonomy. I was searching for a reason to NOT keep the Sabbath. I was trying to understand WHY they thought Sunday was okay. Now it does not matter, but then I was very interested in a good explanation. I'm convinced the Christian truth is that you can fellowship on any day of the week and no one has the right to say they have more blessings from Almighty because they keep the ancient Sabbath.

I know Wierwille isn't too many people's favorite bible scholar around here, but I remember him saying that Jesus Christ IS the Sabbath; stay in Christ, & you ARE observing the Sabbath. Like so many other things, the OT Sabbath (besides it being a good idea to rest once every seven days & set it aside for God) was a form of the rest that Jesus Christ gives us. It wasn't just something he said; he had some documentation from the Word that I don't remember - anybody? Hebrews?

Ah, here you go:

Hebrews 3:11  As I swore in my wrath, ‘They will not enter into my rest.’”

12  Beware, brothers, lest perhaps there be in any one of you an evil heart of unbelief, in falling away from the living God;

13  but exhort one another day by day, so long as it is called “today;” lest any one of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

14  For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our confidence firm to the end:

15  while it is said, “Today if you will hear his voice, Don't harden your hearts, as in the rebellion.”

16  For who, when they heard, rebelled? No, didn't all those who came out of Egypt by Moses?

17  With whom was he displeased forty years? Wasn't it with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness?

18  To whom did he swear that they wouldn't enter into his rest, but to those who were disobedient?

19  We see that they were not able to enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 4:1  Let us fear therefore, lest perhaps a promise being left of entering into his rest, anyone of you should seem to have come short of it.

2  For indeed we have had good news preached to us, even as they also did, but the word they heard didn't profit them, because it wasn't mixed with faith by those who heard.

3  For we who have believed do enter into that rest, even as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, they will not enter into my rest;” although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4  For he has said this somewhere about the seventh day, “God rested on the seventh day from all his works;”

5  and in this place again, “They will not enter into my rest.”

6  Seeing therefore it remains that some should enter therein, and they to whom the good news was before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience,

7  he again defines a certain day, today, saying through David so long a time afterward (just as has been said), “Today if you will hear his voice, Don't harden your hearts.”

8  For if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken afterward of another day.

9  There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

10  For he who has entered into his rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from his.11  Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, lest anyone fall after the same example of disobedience.

12  For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

13  There is no creature that is hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and laid open before the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

14  Having then a great high priest, who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold tightly to our confession.

15  For we don't have a high priest who can't be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but one who has been in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin.

Everyday is the Sabbath for those who have rested from their own works as God did from his.

Enter in to the rest of the Sabbath for we don't have a high priest who can't be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but one who has been in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin.

Resting,

Tom

Edited by Tom