GreaseSpot Cafe

Busted pot politician plans carving giveaway

herbiejuan

The leader of Nunavut’s Marijuana Party said last week he wants to donate a big collection of Inuit carvings to the territory. Ed deVries said he’s acquired more than 600 works of art from Igloolik carvers, in exchange for cash, and pot. “A lot of them are potheads. So they come to me, they trade pot and money, and I get their carvings,” he Business has been brisk over the last few years for deVries, 48, who works as a self-described “traditional healer” and “therapist.”

So much so, he said when Revenue Canada audited his “natural pain relief” business — by which he means marijuana sales — for the 2002 to 2004 fiscal years, they found him to be $240,000 in arrears.

“I opened up all my books to Revenue Canada for everything. I have nothing to hide. I was sitting there wearing my marijuana T-shirt as they were doing it. I was like, ‘I’m the Marijuana Party leader. What do you think I do?’”

He said in an interview last Thursday. “I have a really good relationship with Revenue Canada right now. All my income taxes and GST statements are based on income.”

He said he still owes the taxman about $80,000. “I pay $10,000 in income tax each month, right through my RBC account,” he said.

“I said to them, you have to realize, I have to continue in my practice of providing pain relief to people in this way, in order to provide such an enormous amount of money.”

The interview is funny it's located at:

http://www.nunatsiaq.com/news/nunavut/60728_06.html