GreaseSpot Cafe

Good Bye, brother

Ron G.

hershel_green_44.jpg

TORRANCE, Calif. (AP) -- Former fighter pilot Col. Herschel "Herky" Green, recognized as one of the sharpest shooters in World War II, has died. He was 86.

Green died Wednesday at Torrance Memorial Medical Center, said spokeswoman Ann O'Brien, who declined to disclose the cause of death.

A fighter pilot in Europe and Africa from 1943-1944, Green was the leading ace of the 15th Air Force. He destroyed 18 enemy aircraft and 10 more on the ground during his career. He had such a proficient shot that during one attack on German bombers, Green single-handedly destroyed six aircraft.

Green eventually convinced himself he couldn't be killed after returning from numerous aerial combats unscathed.

By the time he hung up his pilot's wings in 1944, Green had flown 100 combat missions, amounting to 402 combat hours in the air. He had also amassed military decorations including the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star and two Distinguished Flying Crosses.

Green left the Air Force in 1964 and worked for Hughes Aircraft Co. He retired in 1982.

Thanks for the memorial Ron, that was excellent.

Years ago (early to mid 90's) when I worked oncology at a hospital back home, I had the pleasure & privilege of caring for a retired US Airforce fighter pilot, from W W I.

This gentleman flew combat missions over France & Germany and had come up against the Red Baron who we have heard stories about.

He was at the time I met him, 99 years-old, blind and in much failing health as you can imagine.

His wife was so cute I remember. 75 years-old then and told me she was an Army air traffic controller working in France when they met.

She said the reason she left home to do this particular job, was because of seeing a Clark Gable, or some old-timer's movie where he was a fighter pilot.

She particularly was drawn to the air traffic controllers, who determined where and what those pilots were to do, when & where to land etc; she wanted to be the one to tell those boys what to do.

She told me, that she liked that those pilot's had to listen to her and eventually married one. WHich I suspect was her plan all along.

Mrs Messer showed me a dossier on her husband that read similar to yours on Col. Green...it was amazing to read!

His name was Colonel Glenn Messer.

After WWI, he flew commercially...he showed me his pilot's license...its number was-- 9.

Edited by oilfieldmedic