GreaseSpot Cafe

95-year-old woman prepares to graduate

Kit Sober

95-Year-Old Woman Prepares to Graduate and Thanks God

"I give thanks to the Lord and try to live day by day. I try to do whatever is pleasing to Him. That's what I want to do."

Staff reports/CR (Nov 21th, 2006)

Nola Ochs is celebrating her 95th birthday, and plans to graduate just a short time later. Upon doing so, she'll go into the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest graduate. She's amused by the idea, but is proud of the fact that she will get to walk across the stage with her granddaughter, who is attending the same college.

The college used to be called the Kansas State Teachers College in the 1930's when Ochs started. She continued a little more in the 1970's at a St. Mary's community college, and is now finishing her General Education Degree back at Fort Hayes State University.

Ochs' family and friends recently threw her an "impromptu" birthday party in her Biblical studies class, at the end of it she remarked, "I give thanks to the Lord and try to live day by day. I try to do whatever is pleasing to Him. That's what I want to do."

So there is no good reason to quit learning. There is hope, also, for old ex-twi-ers who didn't further our education when we were [much] younger.

Well, I think she is so cool. It comforted me and gave me hope. I'm almost 60 and I went back to school. I didn't know if I could make it or do it anymore. BUT, I've done better on the chart tests and written tests than the 20 and 30 year olds are doing. I was really blessed to hear her story.