Interface Type IDE UltraDMA ATA/133

Buffer Size (Cache) 2MB

Spindle Speed (RPM) 7,200 RPM

Seek Time Average 8.9 ms

Maximum Burst Interface Transfer Rate Up to 133MBps

Internal Data Transfer Rate Up to 741Mbps

Ports and Connectors IDE 40-pin Connector; 4-pin Power Connector

Manufacturer Warranty 3 Year Limited Warranty

I have somehow burnt out 3 hard drives in the last 90 days. They all say "No NTLDR". I've been advised that means they're bad.

Why is this happening? Is it because they are all at least 4 years old?

$50 for an 80GB drive is ok. If you shop around, you can probably get a 300GB for $100.

Your drive may or may not be bad. No NTLDR means the file responsible for loading the operating system is missing. Whether the file was deleted (because of a virus?) or just can't be read because of a bad hard drive depends on the results of a disk scan. If you've got your Windows XP install disk, pop it in and boot from it. Somewhere along the line it should give you an option for "Emergency Repair Mode". This will drop you down to a command prompt, in which you can run 'chkdsk' on the drive.

Yeah...I can get a 260 gig for 99 bucks...but I don't have that much to spend. Sigh. I've used a 40 gig and 2 10 gigs for years and never needed anything else...so an 80 gig will be like a palace to me. :) Also, my son says that my old drives aren't going to run as quickly and as seamlessly as a new one will because of something I don't understand but is like the difference between the old RAM and the new RAM stuff. Make sense? LOL

I'm running 2000 Professional with sp4 and all the updates. I've tried and tried and tried to load from CD but am being demanded to load from A drive. I don't have any floppies right now to make a boot disk, so I can't load from A. You think that might work...loading from A? If so, I'll have my son run out and get some floppies.

About a year ago I got a new box, new power pack, new processor and new motherboard. Put all my old drives, vid cards and sound cards into the new box (with the new power pack, new processor and new motherboard). We just replaced the vid card. The sound card is still doing fine. As I said earlier, we're on the 4th of the 4 hard drives we have. Just put in a new CDRW drive. I don't know exactly how much RAM I have, but I've got 3 new (over the last year) sticks in there. My A drive is starting to act up, so I'm gonna have to throw a new one in there pretty soon. I also want to add another fan (for a total of 4) and upgrade my DVD stuff (I want TV in/out!).

God bless Micro Center! :)

Yes...my computer is a Frankenstein...but it works for my graphics exactly the way I want it to work, so I'm happy.

Our (me and my son) next project is building a server. I just LOVE playing with my son!!!!! :D :D

OK...probably tmi for ya...tyvm for your help!

Edited by CoolWaters

You can format a floppy to be a system boot disk. Just make sure you put chkdsk on it also.

You can also set your boot up order from within the POST setup menu (that is where you either type Ctrl-Del or the F1 key right as your system begins to start up). Look for where it indicates which drive to boot first from, and then select the CD to boot up first.

I concur with GreasyTech, it could be a virus situation. I suggest that you make a anti-virus disk (be it CD or floppy), and when you boot up *from that disk*, scan ALL of your drives that are connected to your system. You're gonna have to wait a while, so when you return, you can after that reinstall your fresh Windows op sys, and set everything back up.

See how that goes, and get back to us, ok? That ought to be a lot less expensive than shelling out $$$ buying hard drives time after time.