GreaseSpot Cafe

Software question

Righteous Brother

This is an open question for anyone who has any ideas.

A friend of mine wants to be able to copy her cassette music tapes onto a CD and wants to know what program she can buy to accomplish this. Her computer has WinXP, 256MB RAM, a "line in" on the sound card, and has a CD burner.

I was thinking that she could juat download various cuts from Kazaa or something like that. But apparently some of the music is not commercially available so simply downloading from Kazaa or some other service like that is not going get all of her music transferred.

Is there an "easy" way to transfer media from a cassette to a CD?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

RB

If you mean something where she can just pop the tape into a walkman hooked up to the Line In jack and record one song, the built-in Audio Recorder can do that.

If she wants to play a whole tape and have it automatically broken up into tracks and written back out onto a CD, then no, not that I know of, although the new Windows Media Player for XP can help record one at a time and set up a play list for burning back out onto CD.

Roxio Easy CD Creator 6

Does it all. Getting good reviews.

I have version 5 and it can do this. I transferred stuff from vinyl to CD. I had to buy a device that enabled me to hook up a turntable to my sound card.

The quality did not sound very good. I probably did not have the best equipment to do this professionally but at least I got it.

With a cassette it mugh be a better quality than vinyl but don't expect excellence.

If it is somethng really special and if you can afford it, find a studio or business that can do this for you with their high end equipment.

Mark Gluckin, for example, has taken old Sunday nite teaching services and has painstakingly converted them over to professional quality CD's and nice artwork, labling, etc. He probably knows MUCH about how to do this. He has done thousands of them.

I've transferred a lot material from cassette to my hard-drive, plugging the cassette player into a small mixer, and then plugging the mixer into the input jack of my soundcard.

From there I use Soundforge or Dart Pro 32 to record the music onto the drive.

Dart32 is a great program because it includes tools for cleaning up the sound by reducing or removing any pops, tape hiss, and noise in the recording.

It's a slightly older program which works well for me, though there are perhaps newer programs out there that simplify the process even further.

Danny