GreaseSpot Cafe

autobiography of a yogi

hi nandon

i'll stick my neck out a bit here

while i havent read the entire book, i am familiar with some of it, as well as with many related philosophies and practices

...and am especially interested in integral yoga (Sri Aurobindo's version)

although i dont even know how to begin writing about such things in detail here

in a thread ... at the gsc doctrinal forum

but, i will say this...

in general...

it seems that one of the most important differences between what one might call "authentic religion" and "inauthentic religion" (or perhaps better..."more effectively transforming religious doctrine" and "mostly non-transforming religious doctrine")...is the importance placed on actual spiritual PRACTICE

one is more about possessing a permenant idea of truth

the other is more about engaging an actual transformational process

most all mainstream religions/spiritualities today rely more heavily on theology, dogma, concept and myth

than on any sort of actual demonstrable spiritual discipline, method, technique, or behavior

not that one cant have a profound spiritual experience without practice

(even suffering illness and death can stimulate such things...life itself provides profound experiences worth being called spiritual)

...or that simply having a practice is some guarantee of authentic transformation

(even new age cults (such as TWI was, imo) have certain degrees of practices...which is perhaps why historic spiritual lineage counts for a lot)

but lacking a practice (such as a yoga, or a meditation, or a contemplative practice) seems a sure sign of mere mythical, or mere translative, or mere interpretive form of religion..."all talk, no walk" as they say

in other words...a theology or doctrine without a corresponding practice cannot be very sound ("faith without works is dead," etc..)

and by "sound," i mean "integrative"...or "whole"... or involved in developing an "integrity of self"

"sound" doctrine + "sound" practice = authentic transformational "religion"

Edited by sirguessalot

Yes I know a bit about Yogi, but have ya heard anything about his sidekick Boo Boo?

I have not studied yoga or Eastern Meditation. The meditation I practice came through Pagan/Wiccan sources but it maybe quite similar. When I was a TWI believer I spoke in tongues faithfully, but the business of SIT seems quite in contrast to meditation, which is more a be still, calm down, quit racing type activity.

During meditation I do occasionally have a burst of creative thought or 'answers' to current personal issues, but mostly I sleep much better if I meditate before bed.

I have not studied yoga or Eastern Meditation. The meditation I practice came through Pagan/Wiccan sources but it maybe quite similar. When I was a TWI believer I spoke in tongues faithfully, but the business of SIT seems quite in contrast to meditation, which is more a be still, calm down, quit racing type activity.

During meditation I do occasionally have a burst of creative thought or 'answers' to current personal issues, but mostly I sleep much better if I meditate before bed.

Yes, the stillness, the focus and concentration. I never learned that from twi, but it seems to be a theme in the bible. Only thing close to it was when we'd do the 24 hours of prayer. I only did it a couple of times, but we weren't allowed to talk, we just had to sit there and SIT.

thanks Bramble