GreaseSpot Cafe

How much RAM do you have in your computer?

igotout

Geez, John! It'd be cheaper to just buy them their OWN cable modem! You'd have to run old-style Thick Ethernet to get 1000ft. 10Mbps max, vampire taps, the whole nine yards.

CAT5 twisted-pair will get you 100 meters. If the two houses have wireless access points butted up against the closest interior walls, you could get a fair distance, and there are antenna boosters for WiFi equipment, too.

Why on earth would you steal internet service for your neighbors?

They both already have Road Runner. We were talking about sharing files...... you know.... MP3 music files.....that were STOLEN from the internet. Like all those you have on your hard drive.

Of course in the conversation the idea of sharing broadband always comes up but relax. I doubt these men will want to go there when it comes down to it. They are prosperous and do not really need to save the $50. per month. But we like to tinker and felt it would be interesting to see if we could do this anyway.

I share a single connection 4 ways in my own house right now and Time Warner does not care cause I asked them. Dial up providers do not seem to care either as long as it is in the same household.

I can't tell you the number of people I know who have free dial up internet access because they are using one of their buddy's 7 email addresses and accessing the ISP with the same phone number. Very easy to set up in 10 minutes. Can be used anywhere in that entire area code even as far a 30 to 50 miles away.

I am sure they have something written somewhere about sharing of their broadband but I have not yet seen it. Could someone post a link if you find something on this subject?

Mark my words, stealing will become more and more of an issue because of wireless technology and how easy this is to do. Heck the advertisers of broadband routers practically promote the idea in their sales literature. It'll rank right up there with the next serious problem that is looming right around the corner......DVD burners! Yikes! Cover your a** Blockbuster, here it comes!

I know of one guy who shares broadband with 9 of his colleagues. Another DSL user I know shares 7 ways.

Is it shared across the back yards of some neighborhoods from house to house? I do not know but if I had to guess I would say yes, very much so.

[This message was edited by igotout on February 14, 2003 at 21:47.]

Well, whatever.

I just got my WET11 Ethernet bridge tonight, and had it running in about 5 minutes. Now I can move it from room to room, hook my Xbox and PS2 up with no probs. It's about the size of a half-sandwich.

Oh, Best Buy has the LinkSys Wireless Router on sale this week for only $79.00 after MIR. Might as well go grab a couple and try it. I don't know if it will be good after Saturday, though.