GreaseSpot Cafe

What kind of response did you get?

newlife

But back to TWI, in TWI we made what I call "instant" friends. With most adults, making new friends takes time, but in TWI, you met someone and if you liked each other, right away, new best friend! And we did have a lot. I think that's a problem when people leave. In the world there are no instant best friends. You can find instant comaraderie at a bar, which I consider false friendship when morning's light dawns. But unless you grew up with people or went to school with them, the friendships like we had in TWI are few and far between.

Sunesis, between this and what you said about boundaries and social rules, this helps in putting the pieces of my personal post-twi puzzle together.

The first few years after leaving twi I felt an aching lonliness, even though I left with my husband and a couple of friends also made it out soon after. I was grieving the loss of old friends and felt I had to hide my past to any potential new friends...in part because I was afraid they would think I had been in a flower-selling kool-aid drinking cult. Also, I still had way-brain to a certain degree and didn't realize it really was a cult.

These days I usually don't mention my cult past unless I trust a person...I'd rather not give an explanation for my square-peggedness...just keep 'em guessing. :D