GreaseSpot Cafe

Reverse Speech

Steveo

I was just assigned a student who's 8, this is the way he writes.

samtsirhc doog a evah t’ndid ehs

I wanted some samples before I figured out a goal plan for him so I asked him some questions and asked him to write them down.

That says "she didn't have a good christmas"

He write it as fast, and from left to right, as I do the way I wrote it.

Fascinating, really, but he's got a lot! of work ahead of him.

This is also the way he reads the words.

Not related to the thread, necessarily, but made me think of the little guy. Cool kid.

Shellon Just a thought ... HE should have his eyes checked to see if he is FAR SIGHTED.

My oldest was like this and she would write words completely mirror written in the middle of a sentence.

apparently when they are far sighted they do a lot of back scanning as they read... Their eyes flicker forward on a word and then reverse.. it gets a bit scrambled in their brain then.

This may not be his problem but a good friend who was a teacher recommended it to me and when we went to the eye doctor this is what she had. We worked with her at home and she overcame it on top of just plain growing out of it by the end of fifth grade.. but worth a try.

She had lots of reversal letters and numbers and in her math she would constantly add instead of subtract or subtract instead of add.

When she got her glasses it really helped her.

They weren't that strong but seemed to be the ticket.

Thank you! My job as the student advocate is to support him, remind him every day why the Speech Therapist keeps making him work, etc. We hang out and I give him breaks away from the stress of his therapy's to do other things and to get things he needs for school, personal or home.

I'll mention to those that do that, thank you