GreaseSpot Cafe

Natural Healing for Pets

masterherbalist

By popular demand (Chas U Farley),

I am starting this topic for information and exchange of ideas.

I mentioned in one of my posts that our German Shepherd had gotten some fleas and ticks. I don't believe that I have to discuss how much of a health threat this is. But some of the treatment sprays and the like are just as bad. We added garlic to the food and used a paraben free herbal spray containing lavender, patchouli, tea tree. lemon peel, and citronella oil. This spray is actually sold under Kiss My Face brand and is called Swy Flotter. That's right, made for humans. It actually stopped the ticks before they could move from the fur into the skin.

Or you can make your own:

Making Your Own Natural Insect Repellent

Herbalist Debra Nuzzi-St. Claire suggests combining the following essential oils to make a natural insect repellent:

1/2 ounce citronella oil

1/4 ounce lavender oil

1/8 ounce pennyroyal oil

1/8 ounce tea tree oil

1/8 ounce jojoba oil

Do not use this blend undiluted on your skin. Follow these instructions for diluting:

To make an insect repellent oil that can be used on your body, add 16 ounces of jojoba or almond oil to the base oil mixture and blend thoroughly. For an insect repellent spray, add 16 ounces of vodka to the base oil mixture, pour into a spray bottle, and shake before using.

As a schooled herbalist, I was taught it was important to treat internally and externally.

If you have any specific questions or ideas, please respond in this topic and we can all contribute to ideas.

The Masterherbalist

Thanks for posting that - Sorry I'm just now catching up. Life is beyond busy and bordering on overwhelming at the moment...

Do you have anything for ear infections for pets? I have a friend who has Basset Hounds (she is a foster for a local rescue) and this seems to be a problem with that breed. Any recommendations?

THANKS AGAIN! :wave:

Can you expand this to human remedies as well. I bet you have so many ideas.

One thing that is good to treat cuts and wounds on your pets is honey. I use honey all the time. Raw honey. I mix it with some aloe vera gel and make a paste to spread on a wound. It is a great natural ant-biotic and it promotes healing. It is imortant to clean it and change the dressing twice a day.

Works like magic. It works on humans and is also a great facial.

Here is a tip for humans. Dark circles under the eyes can be treated with Arnaca Montana. It is a natural remedy used for bruising.