GreaseSpot Cafe

faith and the word of god

for a couple of days or so i was at the hospital bedside of a little girl with her family and nobody knew what was wrong with her but she was so sick and so scared and her fever was high and she was dehydrated and she had a rash on the lower half of her body even on the bottom of her little feet and in my heart i cried out that if there is such thing as prayer and if there is anybody or anything listening that cares then this is my prayer for this little girl and that's all i thought and then i breathed a deep sigh and just held her little hand while she was sleeping. she isn't really much more than a baby even and she's so tiny but she's out of the hospital now and they never did find anything wrong with her and said it must just have been a "little viral infection". do i think that my "prayer" or anybody else's "prayers" helped? i'm sure they helped each person to stay as calm as possible for the little girl but i don't think the "prayers" did anything for the little girl. i think that what helped the little girl more than anything was getting the rest and fluids and nutrition and medicine and comfort she needed. i think that if there are "miracles" of healing then even the bible exhibits that they are accomplished by one person giving of their strength to another and i think that's what happened in this case and in many other cases i've been involved with. is that faith? probably so because i "know" and have "evidence" that a human being given everything it needs to survive except skin to skin human to human affectionate touch with fail to thrive and eventually die. but i didn't believe that information just because somebody told me it was so. but there are some things i can't "prove" like the moon landing or the pictures from space or even electricity but i think they're real so maybe that's faith too.

i'm glad there's more discussion about people's faith now because now i am beginning to get it a little bit and before i was thinking like wtf? how come people who have been fooled at least once keep letting themselves get fooled again and again? but now i am beginning to see that there's a lot more thought going into people's faith than often meets the eye so thank you for taking the time to share these things with me and help me to see that religious faith doesn't have to be victim mentality.

Brain, now that I re-read your post I think I understand a little more. I was being a smarty hiney in my previous post. I am one of these that has to read stuff and think about it. I didn't do that when I read your post. I am sorry I was so flippant.

People don't take Elvis sightings seriously. They only wish it was so. Before you know it there will be Michael Jackson sightings. There has yet to be a sighting of Martin Luther King, Jr. I can't imagine why. He passed before Elvis.

And of all the greats in our lifetime....JFK. Why are there no sightings of him?

Heck, I have grown to the point in my life if someone wants to believe in this or that who am I to argue with them..? Live and let live. I am ready, though, to give answer as to why I belive as I do. Life for me is all about loving folks...may not agree with or believe with but I know one sure thing...next paragraph...

Life sucks the big green weenie (a family definition) sometimes and a lot of the time for a lot of folks. Right or wrong people hold on to what holds them. That is faith. Having lived so much of this big green weenie I am right there with everybody.

• Upvote 1