GreaseSpot Cafe

Feather duster of biblical research

So. . . it's been what 40+ years since I first took pfal. . . and got serious about this Biblical research stuff. . . And yesterday had another few precious moments with Holy Spirit and, although my "Bible research" is equivalent to dipping out the Grand Canyon with a teaspoon, and I was thankful to have his Greasespot Cafe place to share it, and thought others also noticed similar milestones in their walk with the Lord.

Holy Spirit said learning about Him and other spiritual matters was like an archeologist who uses a feather duster to reveal the treasures beneath the surface. . .soft and delicate so as to reveal, but not bruise or damage, the precious treasures beneath the surface. ----------------- My lesson: Distinction between outcomes (doctrine, reproof, and correction): There was Sarai/Sarah, who laughed when the angel said she would have a baby at great age. But then John the Baptist's father was made dumb because he had not believed the word of Gabriel in the temple telling him that Elizabeth was going to have a baby and he was going to be a father at great age.

What's the difference? Why did Sarai laugh in unbelief at the Word and get away with it, and then Zacharias was made dumb when he said almost the same words? The difference was that God had never done this miracle prior to Sarai, but at the time of Zacharias' confrontation Sarai/Sarah's story was written down and common knowledge and Zacharias should have known and been claiming the promise manifested by Sarah and Abraham because having a child was his prayer. Zacharias' rejection of the Bible's promise irritated Gabriel, and then Gabriel identified himself so there was no mistaking it. (I picture this: Similar to Jesus' "standing" that Stephen saw when he was being stoned. Standing really tall and unmistakenly tall and mighty.) I believe that God said of Esau, "Esau have I hated," because Esau knew the promise of the firstborn and knew of the honor before God that was endowed in that birthrite and sold that precious thing for a bowl of soup.

It makes me cringe when people say things they (should) know are not true, like "Why does God hate me?" One prayer list request had this in it and I wrote her back and told her that it just was absolutely not true (unless she denied her birthrite of all God's loving kindness, etc. etc. etc. such as set forth in Ephesians). I also reminded her of Joni Aerickson-Tada and the foot and mouth painters and so many more Joni has helped and Nick Vujicik, the "no limbs, no limits" guy. And the hundreds and thousands of Christians and Jews being persecuted, tortured and killed in this 21st Century (persecution didn't end at the Roman Coliseum). It was precious to me that as I was looking for a Nick Vujicik link to send to my friend I saw that he married "the girl of his dreams." How cool is that!!!!! Anyway, back to the feather dusting, when someone gets a reproof for unbelief they have rejected a written promise of God that they know. And by the same token, when there is no reproof, then a clean heart before the Lord can be assumed. (Note: assumptions are merely things that are taken for granted and can be right or wrong, and do not necessarily make an foot out of anyone.) And example of this is the "If" the leper asked Jesus if he would heal him, and Jesus didn't give him a lecture about "there is no 'if' with me." (Mark 1:40) Of course if the error is great, the proper doctrine may come in a strong manner, such as when Peter wanted to build tabernacles for Elijah and Moses on the mount after their vision, and the voice of God came telling them to listen to what Jesus said (Matthew 17:4-5). What have you gleaned from your fellow believers/Bible research/Holy Spirit/Lord Jesus/God Almighty relationships over the years?

And example of this is the "If" the leper asked Jesus if he would heal him, and Jesus didn't give him a lecture about "there is no 'if' with me." (Mark 1:40) ...What have you gleaned from your fellow believers/Bible research/Holy Spirit/Lord Jesus/God Almighty relationships over the years?

Interesting considerations, Kit.

I don't think the leper's "if" was a negative confession. I think it was a statement of Jesus' potential. I think it was in the sense of, "You can do this if you want. How about it; let's go."

On the other hand, in chapter 9, the "if" confession of the man with the possessed son expressed his lack of conviction that Jesus could actually do anything - in the sense of, "I don't know. Maybe you can do something; maybe you can't. If you can, help us."

Mark 9:22  And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.

23  Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

Jesus' response was like, "No, that's not the way it works. You have to believe that I can do anything. Then the possibilities are endless."

Jesus wasn't telling the man it depended on the man's believing in & of itself. Then it would be all praise to the man, MR. BELIEVER. The man was expressing lack of conviction that Jesus could do anything. Jesus was telling that man that he had to believe Jesus could do. All praise and glory to the Lord of glory. The Holy Spirit has taught me that it's all about Jesus.