GreaseSpot Cafe

Java Script problem

Mark Clarke

Whenever I click on anything that has Java Script code attached to it, it does nothing, and on the status bar at the bottom of the browser window, it says "Error on Page." I started noticing it when I tried to add addresses to an email from my address book, or attach a file to an email. (I have Yahoo email.) Both these functions used to work, and then they suddenly stopped working. I have double checked that Java Script is enabled in my browser, several times in fact. I am not aware of any other changes to my system that would cause this.

I even tried enabling the Display Error function in the browser, to see what exactly the error was. It gave me the following message:

Line: 1120

Char: 3

Error: The callee (server [not server

application]) is not available and

disappeared; all connections are

invalid. The call did not execute.

Code: 0

URL:

pose?YY=15786

I wrote to Yahoo's online support, explaining the problem and pointing out that I had verified that Java Script was enabled. They wrote me back what seemed to be a form letter, saying to make sure Java Script was enabled on my browser. They said if I still had problems, to upgrade the browser or try a different one. I tried both. I tried it on Netscape, and I downloaded the latest version of Internet Explorer. I had the same problem with both of them. I also discovered that it happened on other webpages that used Java Script. When I wrote back to Yahoo support and told them all this they sent me another form letter saying I am having trouble with my web browser (even thought the same problem had occurred in three different browsers).

I tried contacting Microsoft to see if they had any suggestions regarding Internet Explorer, but kept going in circles on their web site, and never got anywhere. I tried JavaScript's support but they mainly address problems that JavaScript programmers are having with their own programs. They did have a "fix" for JavaScript running on Windows Me (msjavx86.exe), but after downloading and installing it, it still did not solve the problem. JavaScript just doesn't seem to run on my computer, no matter what browser I use.

Does anyone know what would cause such a problem? Or can anyone suggest where I might get answers? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark,

It looks like you have done the standard stuff to fix the Java problem you are having. It should be working at this point but obviously is is not.

First, can I assume that you do not have a virus?.

If there is no virus present, then you may have an operating system problem that might be hard to track down - like a missing or corupted file.

As a last resort, I would try to reinstall the the Windows Me Operating system doing an "over the top" reinstall. This will restore any missing or corrupted files.

Goey

• 2 weeks later...

Just though I'd let anyone who read this know I found out the cause of the problem. I have a "pop-up stopper" software that prevents pop-up ads from coming up when I'm on the web. It was preventing the pop-up windows for my address book and file attechments in Yahoo from working, as well as any other places where Java Script calls for a pop-up window. File that one under "Duh!" Fortunately I can turn the pop-up stopper on and off with just a click of the icon.

Goey,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I didn't have to resort to reinstalling Windows, though. I wasn't looking forward to that!

Mark

• 2 months later...

I think I will start a whole new thread on things that may be running in the background on a person's computer and how to recognize and deal with them.

IMO it is one of the best issues to deal with to increase performance and prevent problems, expecially in Windows 98 or ME.