GreaseSpot Cafe

Is There Such a ThingAs...............

krys

a telephone cord which is ONLY for DSL?? If so where should I look for it...and can it be bought by the foot, etc....

Here's the situation:

I am ready to re-establish my DSL service. The service is turned on. I cannot establish a connection....using the DSL modem. The modem came with a short cord...one end into the wall and one end into the modem. Makes sense...BUT

The wall jack (in my new apartment) is maybe 35 feet from the computer..and I don't want to have another phone line installed...I'd like to use the jack in the other room...but I can't make a short cord do 35' of work! (I'm good, but not THAT good) When I tried using a regular phone cord extension length, the modem could not establish a connection to the network.

(I hope this makes sense to you techno-geeks! I'd explaining the best I know how....except if I left something out...one of you will help me and ask....)

You mentioned that the "service" is turned on. Is that the phone service, or the DSL service? (or both) You DO have the DSL set up for your new apartment, don't you?

... just a thought.

I don't know if you need a special cable for DSL or not. I have a cable modem which is a different setup. But if you do need one, Radio Shack should have one. Why not give them a call and ask them (anonomously, of course) if they have one. If so, go pick one up.

Hope this helps.

RB

Krysilis,

Your DSL modem uses an "RJ-11" interface which is just like a standard phone connector.

However, at DSL speeds, you will need a premium cord. I reccomend at least a "Category 3" that has twisted wires inside. It will be a round cord instead of a flat one.

You should be able to get something like this at Frey's or possibly Radio Shack. It is called an ADSL extension cable.

Belkin makes good cables.

Goey

[This message was edited by Goey on July 06, 2002 at 17:54.]