GreaseSpot Cafe

REITs and investments

Mister P-Mosh

Has anyone here ever invested in Real Estate Investment Trusts before? I'm looking for an investment that has decent returns that I can be fairly hands off with. I want either to be able to have dividends paid out for income, or even better would be to have a DRP (Dividend Reinvestment Plan) that I could put back into it until I needed to start taking the money to live off of.

So far I've been able to do well with stock options, doubling my money every two months or so, but that is a very hands on approach and I'd prefer to have something a little more secure where I don't have to sit and watch graphs every day just to find the right time to invest (getting out is very easy though since I use trailing stops.)

I've also been looking into potentially investing in mortgages via Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae, but because of the high price of getting into them (I believe it's something like a minimum $25,000 investment) I will not yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out where I can put my money that is stable enough that I don't have to watch it in order to buy and sell, and I'd like to be able to make income from it if possible. Do any of you do this, and if so, what do you invest in?

I dont know either. Sorry :-)

We focus purely on MFRs, and it has done us very well. Both for the income and for the huge tax-writeoffs.

Most of the folks do say that nothing beats a mutual fund. And even though many will state that you must have a minimum balance to get into a mutual fund. I have written letters for sailors before that mutual funds did allow them to get started, investing as low as $50/month. [waiving their minimum balance requirements] It just takes a letter say8ing that you work hard and you really want to invest in their fund, but that you just dont have that much cash on hand, and that you want to invest so badly that you would be willing to make an automatic direct deposit from your salary in the amount of $50 per month into their fund.

My father buys mortgage notes from a broker and he does very well with that investment vehicle. Mortgage-notes often get traded like baseball cards. Each broker seems to have their own system for rating a mortgage-note and based on that rating system, they will be willing to trade a given note. He buys mortgages, and he never pays more than half of the note's face value. A note with a remaining principle of $100,000 for example has a face value of $100,000, even though if the holder were to continue making payments for the life of the note, they will eventually have paid as much as 3 times that amount. So he buys the note for $50,000 and notifies the note's holder to begin sending the monthly payments to him. His rate of return varys. But you can see the rough numbers of what they would generally be like. In doing this since 1977, he has had 2 mortgages go into default, he has had to travel to whichever state, file paperwork to transfer the propertys into his name, evict the residents, make repairs and place the property back onto the market. But even after all that, when the property sales, he makes a huge windfall. And he does very little of the work himself, he contacts the local trade union halls and has them do all the work.

Good luck anbd tell us what you decide.

:-)