GreaseSpot Cafe

Smurfs and Cabbage Patch Dolls

The Girl From Oz

Back in the 80s, when Smurfs and Cabbage Patch dolls came on the scene, rumours began to run amok through the JWs.

Smurfs were considered to be demonised, because the rumour went that they were based on some Scandanavian gnome, and all gnomes and goblins were substitutes for the demons. There was a persistant rumour that some kid had brought some toy smurfs to a Kingdom Hall (meeting place of JWs) and it became alive, and ran down the centre aisle of the Hall!! icon_eek.gif

Funnily enough, my parents let me watch the smurf cartoons, and I had a little collection of toy smurfs (bought from a petrol station change each time you bought $10 worth of petrol). But they finally bowed to public pressure, and I had to throw the toy smurfs away.

Cabbage patch dolls also were rumoured to be demonised. Again, the rumour went that some kid had one at a Kingdom Hall, and it became alive!!

Did you ever hear these kinds of rumours? Were these sorts of rumours about things that were "demonised" common in The Way?

I was still fairly young when the Smurfs were on TV but I surely don't recall any flak over them at the KH. I do recall some uproar over the Cabbage Patch Kids. Something about them being a waste of money that could be given to the WTS. Apparently kids were bugging their parents into buying practically the entire collection.

LH

When I was a kid there was a story about some dub that burnt a demonically possessed carpet his granny gave him. Apparently she used to read tea leaves and the devil entered in thru that practise.

Anyway, the carpet "screamed" when they burnt it. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Ordinarily I tend to dismiss superstitions. Truckers have one about a 'black dog' that stalks drivers that get careless and drive beyond their body's tolerance. I never believed it myself until I had a run in with the dog on a lonely stretch of Interstate 4 in central Florida.

LH

I took a team load from Gloucster, MA all the way down the east coast solo to Orlando, FL. That's about 1300 miles. I had a load of fresh fish and it had to deliver in 26 hours. I had a fairly easy time all the way down Interstate 95 to Jacksonville, FL. But after I got to Interstate 4 traffic thinned out drastically and I was basically the only truck running west. Somewhere around 3:00 in the morning I started to notice I was dozing off behind the wheel. After one of these episodes I saw a shadow of some kind running towards me in the middle of the road. As my eyes adjusted it looked like a black dog. I froze and just headed straight for it. The damn thing jumped at my windsheild and when it looked as if it was going to hit it disolved and in the blur I saw a face. I asked a friend of mine that worked for the company about it a few days later and he said most truckers believe it's the face of death. If you see it and live throught the experience then you've been warned. They say the next time you see that face it will be the last thing you ever see. I have no clue whether it was for real or not. But it strikes me as being odd that so many people see the exact same thing. A lot of drivers swerve to avoid hitting it and get themselves killed. Regardless I never want to see the damn thing again. That's why I don't drive solo anymore.

LH

Spin out story.

I'll tell you about my night in a haunted house in exchange. It was a rented house my relatives were living in. I slept there one night and about 3am I was shocked awake. I could sense that there was a presence right outside the bedroom door. The door opened and in walks this THING. I couldnt see it, but I could feel it. The thing walks into all corners of the room, then, when its at the far end of the room it turns, SNAP. quick as that. looking at me. Then it walks toward me. I duck under the covers, and I can feel its eyes burning into me thru the covers. I was paralyzed.

I stayed that way till the alarm rang.

Anyways, months later My father and some local elders in the congo were pulling all the walls out of this house, they were looking for "demonized" artifacts. Turns out a lot of wierd stuff happened in that place.

We have a whole host of superstitions like the dog. In new Mexico there is a Highway number 666. It's nickname is 'The Devils Highway'. Strange things are supposed to happen on a regular basis on it. On a stretch of Highway 49 in Mississippi Trucker flock to the Highway in late March hoping to get a glimpse of a ghost that haunts the Highway. The story goes that a young girl was murdered and dumped along the road and now every year on the day she was killed she will appear beside your truck, look you in the face, and say 'You're not him'. Unlike the dog I've never had a run in on either Highway so I really don't know if it's all BS or not.

LH

I suppose I needed to respond because I am a topic of this thread. I don't remember any teachings about smurfs----though I have had comments about them. Pokemon was one twi/lcm was really against for a while--"pocket monsters" ya know. But not everyone swallowed it hook line and sinker because I remember some of the leaderships' kids having the cards