GreaseSpot Cafe

Bend It Like Beckman

2life

WOW! I know this movie has been out for awhile-- its kind of quietly making the rounds........

AND ITS WONDERFUL!!

If you/or your kids are into soccer-- this is it!!

An Indian (hindu ?) young girl -- crosses all kinds of cultural and family expectations to follow her passion.

Just a touch of insight towards our international population.

• 2 months later...

This was sort of a "My Big Fat Indian Soccer Scholarship."

There were a lot of good, funny, warm moments. There was a little language, but mostly harmless. It's a story for teen or pre-teen girls, mostly, and families with girls, but boys will enjoy it too. They might even learn something about girls. There's a lesson for everyone, well-taught with grace, humor and charm.

The protagonist has both dreams and integrity, mixed with a little rebelliousness. You can't help but smile when she beats the odds. Her struggles are modest by Hollywood standards, but any kid will relate.

Worth renting.

By the way, it's spelled Beckham. "Bend it" refers to (I'm guessing here) a soccer kick that causes the ball to curve. Beckham is a male soccer star, and the girl's idol.

The soccer scenes are not the movie's strong point. It's mostly about the people.

I got this movie as a birthday present. My daughter has watched it five times since then. She thinks it's the best movie ever conceived by man (or woman, whoever wrote the screen play). And it is funny and sweet, with a happy ending that's not too saccharine or sappy. It's a touching story, even the second time through, about a girl who makes it in life by staying true to herself. Worth watching, for any age.

Good review, QQ.