GreaseSpot Cafe

Sending mp3 files to a CD

herbiejuan

• 6 months later...

For those who want to sell anything that has been recorded, either a piece of music or even a video, consider this: A lot of material that was made before 1963 (particularly vintage tv shows) have entered the public domain. If an item is in the public domain, then it's fair game for anyone. I don't have the time or energy to go into all of what consitutes public domain, but a simple key word in the web search like "public domain" can definately help you, and also you can look at the copyright archives to see if an item has been in fact renewed for a copyright. Just a little tip I'd thought I'd pass on. I tend to think that much of the golden oldies music is in the P.D., which is what constitues most of my mp3 collection. I do understand the need to deal with those who deprive new artists of fresh materials however. But even then, if you're a hot item (Britney Spears, i.e.), then fans will pay to see you in concert, so as an artist you really didn't lose all your due revenues. I think the ones who really are doing the bitching are the record producers because you're cutting off their piece of the pie by producing your own disks. Hey, many aspiring musicians can pretty much cut out that middle man and produce their own CDs for a fraction of what it used to cost to sign a contract with a record producer (especially in the days of phonographs).

Chuck