GreaseSpot Cafe

I want to add sound to my graphics

CoolWaters

First off, that can wind up being annoying *real* quick to those who read your posts alot, as repeating sounds on the internet are usually viewed with distain.

Two, either you can put your sound in a java applet and include it via an 'url' statement, or post a link that would bring up a player to play it with, which would make it more of a burden for the message board visitor reading your posts, plus it would do it unvoluntarily, which further raises the ire of the visitor.

In short, I'd advise against it. nono5.gif

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Cool,

Even if it wasn't repeating, every time someone goes to a thread where you have posted, they will hear your audio signoff, thus putting it in the realm of repeating sounds.

Sorry to douse on your parade. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Someone did that back in the early, early days of Waydale. It was a pain in the arse, in my opinion, as I often lurked from work or the local library. I didn't want to be discovered lurking and always had to make sure that the sound was turned down very low or off, just in case. Thankfully, the sound sign-off was short lived.

Personally, I don't want ANY sounds coming out of my speakers unless I ask for it. I don't even have incoming email or signoff sounds ("You've got mail!). I spend so much time with computers - at least 8 hours a day - usually 10-12 hours - that those sounds begin to twang your last nerve after a while.

I do like your graphics and GIFs you've used - that is unique to you - keep it up - it's refreshing!

I speak from learning and experience, mainly from the field of web design. W-a-y-y back in the ancient days of the web (ohh, about 1993-94 icon_biggrin.gif:D-->) it didn't take long before people grew tired of sounds that played on the web pages. Sounds that ran again and again. With no way to turn them down or off.

And so it became one of the first Holy Cardinal Rules of Web Design (on pains of an unruly mob rioting just outside your door):

quote:
Yea Verily, Thou Shalt Not impose thyself upon thy web visitors the unholy and annoying sound that blareth forth from their speakers that cannot be turned off and/or repeats itself unmercilessly, lest thy find thyself being tortured with unspeakable torture at the hands of very angry people.

Do I hear an "Amen!" from the congregation?

angelkit.gif