GreaseSpot Cafe

What is "my story?"

Lifted Up

It is what took place...what happened...to you, in TWI, in any other part of your life, in your life as a whole. And it can tell us a lot. Your story as told by YOU. That makes it believable. Not your story as told by someone else. Would I learn much by hearing someone else tell your lif'e story? Maybe I would learn some things. But it wouldn't have the authority of being real, because someone else can't tell the story of your life and say "this happened to me".

I have always been a supporter of people telling their OWN story...THEIR testimony...about what happened to them in TWI, as well as in the rest of life. I have stated quite a number of times that I will not deny someone's testimony. And since coming onto the ex-Way scene via Waydale a few years ago, I have actively sought peoples' own testimony...not opinions or rhetoric...to fill me in on what has gone on in TWI during all those years since I was yanked out at the end of 1979...and to some extent even during the time I was in. My door to testimony has always been open to the good and the bad.

Now I hear from someone that I don't need to hear a person's own testimony...that they can tell about the experience just as well as the person to whom it happened. I know this is the meaning, because I was told that if I don't believe their second hand account, then I wouldn't believe the person to whom it happened in the first place telling about it. That means, I guess, that to find out what went on, I have to listen to people going over all the bad...and good...that happened to others instead of hearing it from the people it happened to.

I suppose other have listened to the "my story" of someone and refused to believe it or discounted its significasnce. Which must make me guilty of doing the same, even before I have heard it.

Somewhere in here is a believability gap.

The irony of this is that the person who tells me this came out less than a year ago with what for a while I thought was the most the most telling personal (but publically made) testimony ever of something very bad that happened in TWI.

Until suddenly, when applied to general life, the same event changed its definition.

OK, enough rambling. But this forum I think could use more activity. Bring it on.

I love the authenticity of first person accounts. It's like a snippet of life -- maybe a scene from a movie -- often told at a time when the heart is open by disappointment and love.

I'm not sure if you have an axe to grind with a particular person (beginning in your third paragraph: "Now I hear from someone . . . "), but it's my observation that the second-hand accounts don't so much lack credibility (I tend to believe most of them), but they also don't act as a photograph, capturing a moment in time in a word or phrase, where I see the person in pain but also can believe that everything will be okay and that life will go on. Often that process is played out on these forums in interactions and support. The second-hand accounts don't resonate with life -- they're often told to illustrate a point or back up an opinion. They have their place, many times as ammunition, but more often (I think) as a way for the writer to distance her/himself from the point s/he is making, thereby avoiding public scrutiny. That's okay, too.

So what's your story, Lifted Up? What prompted this post?

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hi there lifted.

I like your post and I have to say that I agree wtih you. Frankly I think we all might be better off if we were to actually unload some of the hurt feelings that came away with us from TWI. After all, isnt that why we signed up for a site like this in the 1st place? To be with others that shared similar instances and perhaps find some healing?

Myself, I am absolutely willing to lend a shoulder or ears to anyone out there that should ever need them, for is that not what the Love of God is about?? (I Corinthians 13:4)...

I love you guys ... we are all in this together!!

Michael B.

Yes, to be honest, I have an axe to grind, and there is a specific person involved, but my befef is more of a general one. Besides, I still have respect for the person involved.

I see often testimony subordinated to rhetoric when talking about the wrong things of TWI. Yes, a certain amount of anger and sarcasm is unterstandable considering what some people went through. But rhetoric doesn't impress me, having had it shoved down my throat during my forced exit (deprogramming).

When I see people talking...okay, posting...about what specifically happened to them, be it good or bad, that stands out. And when I am making an effort to find out what happened, to search out testimony presumably piublically given, and am told it is not available...or as I posted above, am told "you wouldn't believe it anyway" I begin to wonder if such testimony exists, or at least if it exists to the degree it is talked about by some.

So have I succeeded in confusing you further?

Lifted Up,

I'm not confused, but I am surprised that you would expect an internet acquaintance to confide in you, if she (or he) is reluctant to do so. I don't know any of the particulars in this situation (and don't care to), but based on what you're saying, you feel that someone else has an obligation toward you to tell you her own story. Why is that? Because you prefer first-person accounts? Maybe she doesn't. That's life.

Rhetoric has its place. Sometimes it's entertaining, sometimes enlightening, sometimes boring, depending on the subject matter and delivery. And it can be easily challenged or ignored, as the reader sees fit.

In my very humble opinion, if you have respect for the person who is the subject of this thread, then talk to her privately. And respect her decision to tell or not tell as she is comfortable.

You don't THINK I confused you but I used my considerable skill in this area to do so withouth your knowledge. OK, so instead let's say you just cant understand what I'm saying. Same thing. My fault.

My search involved nothing about this person in question. Much of my question referred to testimony that was presumably already given publically...since it was referred to as the gospel truth, I honestly wanted to see it if it existed.

In my early days on the ex-Way scane, on Waydale, I made a search along the same subject line and was rather successful...even beyond a rather well known case. I think I was successful because I honestly wanted to know and refused to deny anyone's testimony. After about 20 years out, I simply wanted to know what had been happening. Naturally confidence and trust played a big part there.

Although my current inquiries are along the same subject line, there is one very important difference; otherwise I wouldn't be making the effort. But if my effort gets nowhere, so be it, and it would serve neither me nor anyone else to persist. Perhaps I am nearing that point now.