GreaseSpot Cafe

VeriSign destroys the internet, news at 11

Mister P-Mosh

It looks like the evil company Verisign has poisoned the DNS servers of the world and redirects everything that hasn't been registered to their site.

What this means, for those that aren't up on DNS and stuff like that, is that if you type in www.coxc.net by accident rather than www.cox.net, you will get an advertisement for Verisign. This also means that many of the anti-spam programs are broken, because any domain name will now work. In the past, if someone sent you spam from a domain that didn't exist, like spamboy@coxc.net it would be flagged as spam and deleted (if you have the right program.) Now, VeriSign has broken that. Another thing they now have the ability to do is to harvest information about you. If you type in the wrong domain name by accident, they will know it. If you send a private email and type in the wrong address, they will be able to read that email.

This is an abuse of the internet, as well as highly criminal. I've emailed several large companies that I could think of (one is my example of coxc.net for Cox Communications) to inform their legal department that VeriSign has infringed on their trademarks. Hopefully, enough people will bring lawsuits against VeriSign as well as complaints to ICANN, that this evil company will be put out of business permanently. For those that don't know, this is just one item in a long line of criminal activity by this company. They also trick people into paying them for their domain names, they hijack domain names from rightful owners, and many other bad things.