GreaseSpot Cafe

Paper on Tithe by Robin Jordan

Seeker46

Were people reallyrequired to give 10 percent of their income in the Old Testament? Were all people in Israel required to tithe? Look it up. The answer may surprise you.

Raf, I think this should have been posted in the "How to p1ss off a Wierwillite" thread. :D

Were people reallyrequired to give 10 percent of their income in the Old Testament? Were all people in Israel required to tithe? Look it up. The answer may surprise you.

good point amigo.

if your caught up in the tithe, you are in a cult.

this is not to offend anyone. its just my opinion. the tithe ruins everything. again. just my opinion.

Just to clarify Bob Darnell's teaching....he doesn't teach the tithe in "Deliberate Giving." Rev. Darnell's teaching is similar to what Raf wrote in his sharing. It is determined by each person as he purposeth in his heart and that the liberal soul will be blessed. The emphasis (to me when I heard Bob's teaching) is deliberation and my relationship with God, my personal Father. Bob did not mention a minimum required. :dance:

It is determined by each person as he purposeth in his heart and that the liberal soul will be blessed.

This, I can agree with. The problem, as I see it, is that when organizations start talking about giving - they're talking about giving money and giving that money to THEM, the church, group, org, etc. THAT, I disagree with vehemently.

Why? For one thing, that's not how I was brought up and it's not how the most "blessed" people I know give. They give in so many OTHER ways and to so many OTHER people - mostly on an individual basis to people in need.

My parents are prime examples of this - I think our very own Galen is also a super example of this. The whole time I was growing up we had some college student living in our guest bedroom. It was always, "Adrienne's Room", "Vernon's Room", "Roman's Room", etc. It wasn't really a guest bedroom very much at all. These were kids who could afford school and books by working full time, but couldn't afford to pay that, rent, food, etc. also. They rented a room from us and I seriously doubt they ever paid for rent or groceries. Roman was a football player on a full scholarship. He lacked two classes to graduate and couldn't afford them because he was one of ten kids with a widowed mother who was doing well just to make ends meet. My parents insisted that he stay with us that summer and finish his college degree. I don't know if my parents paid for those classes or not - they never talked about WHAT they were giving, HOW MUCH they were giving or even the fact that they WERE giving at all.....it was just part of life and they were so happy to have young kids around all the time.

They give of their time and are not home much because of that, but they thoroughly enjoy it and THEY choose where to spend their time and it's usually NOT with the church although they do their share of giving there as well. My parents are very adamant about the importance of giving, but giving in YOUR OWN WAY - be it, housing, time, words of praise and encouragement, meals, things.....whatever YOU have to give. They do not tithe to the church - they give money to the church, but they consider the other ways they give just as important, if not moreso because those ways directly impact lives.

THAT'S what I think about giving and what I think delights God. There are plenty of examples in the Bible to suggest that, too. Giving couldn't and shouldn't be measured by anyone. What and how I give is my business - between me and God and that's nobody else's business.