GreaseSpot Cafe

OPUS DEI

dmiller

Mark (O'Malley) -- this is primarily to you.

I just got *OPUS DEI* by Michael Walsh as a Christmas gift, and haven't yet started to read it,

but the subtitle *secretive society within the Catholic church*

made me want to ask ---

Is this something you are familiar with, or is it a hoax???

I'll be reading it (either way), but I would appreciate a *head's up* from you.

I guess I could have done a PM with this, but since it is a published book, I figured others may have seen it also, and might have similar questions.

And ---- as our resident Catholic I figure you're the best one to ask for answers.

(Besides all that -- I have a lot of respect for you and your wisdom).

:)

David

I read Walsh's book years ago. Interesting piece of work. Very conspiratorial.

Yeah, Opus Dei is a real organization. Their website is here: http://www.opusdei.org/index.php?w=32

The chief thing I know about them is that they are extremely orthodox. (I would probably be considered a liberal compared to most Opus Dei folks :D -- and, believe me, I am no liberal). They believe in putting their faith in practice in everything they do (thus, the name: Opus Dei -- Work of God).

As I am not a member of Opus Dei, I really am not in a position to comment directly **from the inside** in regards to anything they do. So I really wouldn't be able to answer any questions from personal knowledge.

However, in regards to Walsh's book, one thing that I would say is that he puts together a conspiracy. Sort of similar to Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code). In other words, there may several factoids in the book. There may be a few fictions in the book. But I put the conclusions the book leads the reader to draw in the category of most conspiracy theories.

But, having said that, as I recall it was a pretty decent read all in all.

It's funny, but I just read the other day in "Fortean Times" magazine a review on another book covering

this subject. An online review of this work can be seen at http://www.forteantimes.com/review/opusdei.shtml

Danny

I absolutely LOVED that review (I guess not conspiratorial enough for the reviewer LOL) -- it is typical of some folks' attitudes: don't let facts get in the way of their opinions! (this is no reflection on the book...it was just my impression after having read the review)

But, having said that, as I recall it was a pretty decent read all in all.

Thanks for the input, Mark. :)

(gives me a better perspective of the group and the author).

I wondered about the conspiracy aspect. Wasn't sure if the book would be sensational, or factual.

D.