GreaseSpot Cafe

A different kind of Apprenticeship...

sirguessalot

As many of you know, I've worked worked for hospice for several years. I've found that it is so much more rewarding than working in a regular hospital (or corporate) setting. I wouldn't trade being involved with hospice care for anything. Unlike some settings, that puts the emphasis on agressive cure, hospice says there has to be as much quality of life as possible for both the patient and family. I would recommend hopsice to anybody that is looking for a career with meaning.

Last year, I had the wonderful experience of hearing Ira Byock speak when he was invited to hold a seminar at our facility. I'm sure that you will enjoy him too.

yeah, moony...i am looking forward to learning from Dr Byock, especially in the context of this program.

from what i understand, he will be spending at least a few days with us

and i agree with your assessment of it being a meaningful vocation

but even more...there is a direct connection between our quality of dying and our quality of living

(not to mention our quality of birthing)

and how things like masculine violence and greed have been shown to be connected to our growing inability to process grief

so perhaps even more than a meaningful vocation...our new world needs badly to at least REgain the level of dignity and grace that many of the old world cultures had already learned about dying

heck, even Dame Cicely herself said that the modern Hospice, as amazingly widespread as it has become, had still failed to come close to the quality of care it reached in the 11th to 15th centuries, and is at risk of being absorbed (and weakened) by the western medicine modalities

i mean, consider how wonderful the modern hospice movement is and has been for millions...then multiply it by ten or more

...cuz this points to the caliber and degree of care for the dying that was found in places like Spain, France, Scotland, Ireland, etc... prior to the 15th century, and then going back thousands of years

Edited by sirguessalot

• 2 weeks later...

...a shameless bump

and brief update

i've just finished redesigning the website...and i'm kinda proud of it

Sacred Art of Living Center

i also wanted to point out a few related websites that some might find useful:

Tom Golden's site has some great articles and resources for men's crisis, grief and healing...which is an oft-neglected arena in our society

Music Thanatology Association - this is a world-class bunch, and i thought of some of you already musically gifted peeps might benefit from the notions and probably even have some experiences (intuited and otherwise) to share in this regard

and something funny too that some you all might get a kick out of...

is how, as i continue working and studying in these fields

i keep finding myself sitting in this very elaborately over-the-top bar joke:

it goes something like: "so this rabbi, and a monk, and a priest, and a nun, and a neurologist, and a psychiatrist, and an undertaker, and a druid, and a buddhist walk into a bar...."

Edited by sirguessalot