GreaseSpot Cafe

Help please w/ my monitor settings

Ttessa

I feel so dumb. I changed my Display Properties from my favorite setting of 1280 by 1024 pixels to a (temporary, I thought!) setting of 720 by 480 pixs.

Now the Display Properties window is so big, the OK button is off the page. I can see (and adjust) the slider that brings it back to the higher settings - but I can't see the OK button (which executes my choice).

Is there another way to change the Display Props in Win98?

• 3 weeks later...

Most common monitor problem I find is the refresh rate. If it is set too low the monitor looks crummy and causes eye strain, even if you have an expensive monitor.

Right click anywhere on the open desk top. Go to Properties and click on the tab called Settings. Set the Color quality to highest (32bit) and the screen resolution to something more than 800 x 600. I like 1024 x 768.

Now click on the Advanced button and click on the Monitor tab. Make sure the screen refresh rate is set to 75 Hertz (that is unless ytou have one of those flat screen monitors. Those take a different refresh rate, I think 65 Hertz)

Most importantly, get the latest drivers for your graphics card and install them. It is very easy. You just click on the downloaded drivers and they self install. Get them from your graphics card amnufacturer's website. Probably NVidia or ATI.

After you install the drivers you may have to do all the above settings again so maybe do the driver thing first.

Right click on My Computer and click Manage. Click on Device Manager. In the right hand pane look for Display Drivers.

Mine says NVIDIA GeForce4 TI 4800 SE, for example.

Post what yours says.

Then right click on it and sel;ect Properties and go to the driver tab. There you can see what driver version you have. Mine says 5.2.1.6 which is the latest Nvidia Detonater drivers.

These days Microsoft is doing a good thing by allowing certain drivers to be a part of their automatic Windows Updates, Nvidia and ATI included.

You have installed ALL of the latest windows updates haven't you?

If not, do it immediately to protect your system and make it run better as well.