GreaseSpot Cafe

South Beach Diet Questions

Dot Matrix

I went to see my Dad in his new after-hurricane home here in Georgia. Really nice! :dance:

He is struggling with heart and diabeties problems.

I am reading the South Beach Diet to help him loose about 20 pounds and to be healthier.

Anyway, I get the sugar index numbers and to choose low ones. Then, it goes into menu items for 14 days in a row. HE will not want to eat EXACTLY that. So where is there a substitution page or something?

Did I miss somthing? I mean should there be two meats a day with low sugar and X amount of veggies.

How do I figure out substitutions? Is there a certain amount of sugars allowed and no more?

What is the magic formula so I can mix it up a bit? Anyone know?

Edited by Dot Matrix

Dot,

You may want to check out "The Zone Diet" then. Not having read the South Beach Diet book, I can't make a fair comparison.

The Zone Diet is similar to South Beach, being a higher protein diet, from what I've heard. What the Zone diet has you do is to figure the amount of lean muscle, and eat accordingly. This way, once you reach your goal weight, you don't have to change the way you eat. The only exception might be, if you started doing resistance training, you would probably have to eat more, because of body composition changes.

Dot, if your dad has diabetes, couldn't he just follow the diet his doctor or nutritionist gave him? People who follow their diabetes diet lose weight, and it seems less complicated than what's in these diet books. Just a thought.