GreaseSpot Cafe

more cool and free programs

dancing

Here's a silly question.

Links like this are always appreciated, and can come in handy.

How do you know that these sites offering free stuff aren't also a cover for bad folks who want to plant crud in your system?

If all they are doing is using their stuff to get your email to sell to others for spam, ok-I can deal with that. Otherwise, I have to trust my virus protection to block spyware.

Is there a clearhouse somewhere to check for these things before signing up?

Dancing-I am not referring at all to anything specific that you or anyone else here have contributed. I feel better exploring links posted here than I do anywhere else. But because I am not totally computer savvy, this was simply a question I have had in general, and your post made me think of it. I did not mean to offend.

While exploring one site, there may be a requirement to download something to take full advantage of the site. Or there may be a link to someone else's site. Or it could be just something fun someone throws in to look at.

I am generally conservative about web-surfing, and yet I still will have to fight off threats. I know, that's what virus software is for, but there are times I may want to more fully explore certain links, but don't out of caution. So I just wondered if there is a listing somewhere, not of known virus or spyware, but of the sites that are known to delebrately cause the problem.

Ok? :)

your fire wall probably has a listing of the type of web site is and how it is rated and the issues it may have .

zone alarm does . also run your anti- virus on whatever you want Before you down load it to your hard top.

Get a down load manager that is free and run your anti before it goes into you puter. less risk any damage will be done .

But even downloading stuff from microsoft can be risky at times they have offered patches and stuff to upgrade that has destroyed entire systems and it it could happen again.

it is the risk everyone takes with tech.