GreaseSpot Cafe

Moved "Doctrinal" Threads

Several threads have been moved to the Soap Opera forum. One was accidently deleted. Sorry.

While there isn't supposed to be personal attacks anywhere on GS, the Doctrinal forum has gotten really bad lately.

Many people have derided the Doctrinal Forum as "the dungeon", but by and large the discussions here, while sometimes dry and scholarly, have stayed on topic, and opinions have been backed up, either by scripture, or by logical thinking. There have been actual discussions here.

If you are unwilling or unable to document or at least rationally discuss your position, you're in the wrong forum. This goes for anti-PFAL and anti-Wierwille posters as well as anyone else. If someone makes a comment disparaging of your belief or position, challenge them to back it up. Or present contradictory evidence yourself.

All of the moderators are volunteers. We do this because we believe in GS's mission, and we sort of like Pawtucket (he also bribed some of us with a cool blue GS sweatshirt). We don't have the time to constantly babysit, to continually edit and then explain why we edited, and then explain why we didn't edit. There aren't many of us, and we have lost a few to "real life" recently.

So please, play nice. The alternative is putting those who don't cooperate on "moderator queue". This means that every post that you painstakingly type in will set there until one of us moderators has the time to release it. Or delete it.

Work with us.

*****POSTED BY ABIGAIL - SORRY*********** However, Sushi agrees with what I said.

Well, I just sent an email to Paw on this very topic. Something I have probably only done or 3 times in the nearly 6 years I have been here.

"by and large the discussions here, while sometimes dry and scholarly, have stayed on topic, and opinions have been backed up, either by scripture, or by logical thinking. There have been actual discussions here.

and

"While there isn't supposed to be personal attacks anywhere on GS, the Doctrinal forum has gotten really bad lately."

Agreed and agreed - up until a certain poster took an interest in these forums anyway. Why is it that said poster can make off color jokes about "Jews, Wiccans, and Spiritualists", make references to the "brown spot on people's heads", infer that certain posters are lovers, and derail topic after topic after topic with off-topic remarks and insults, while never "document[ing] or at least rationally discuss[ing] your position"

Yet, when I take some of those off topic remarks and try to have a doctrinal discussion about them without derailing the original thread, they are moved?

I am sorry, but I very strongly feel that the moderators are not doing their jobs in a just manner and the result is people are leaving. I was unwilling to even consider doing that until this most recent moderator decision, but now I am thinking very strongly about it.

I understand that what you and Paw do is a tough job, a time consuming job, and one for which you do not get paid for. What I do not understand is why said poster's personal and off-topic attacks are allowed to continue unchecked, but a discussion about those off-topic comments are not allowed.

Edited by Sushi

I would add . . .

I was more than willing to accept it when some of my posts were edited or deleted due to personal attacks - DESPITE the fact that other posters' personal attacks were left in place. In fact, I apologized and thanked the moderators for the work you do.

However, I am sorry, but for me, this just plain old crosses the line into the unacceptable. I did not to my knowledge violate any rules. I did not personally attack and I kept my posts doctrinal. In addition, Allan even acknowedged a willingness to discuss these things when he said. . . "let's discuss the Bible as a Jew and a 'born-again' Christian would, bring it on Abi !!"

Abigail, I understand your position and the threads were doctrinal. And I understand the moderators move. Because of the title of the threads you started is the main reason imo.

There are those who do not want the truth and go even further to stop it from being spoken. And I'm not talking about the moderators. The moderators are not following these discussions but the general look and feel of gsc. Which is limited.

We who are and were involved in these personal attacks know what is going on. While sirguessalot stopped in one thread it doesn't mean he has stopped. No man can stop it. We will rise above this situation and see and speak like the wind which no sword can cut.

Personally I intend to pour on the heat of the word into the doctrinal section at my high points which come and go. My mistakes have been to react rather then post from the spirit. And it will be a mixture of angels and men as it has been in the past, as I've seen yours and others.

No one is above anyone else. Some are pillars in the temple of God. This is self evident.

I already explained some of this to Abigail in a PM, but I thought it bore discussing openly.

Abigail's threads were not moved because they were in any way offensive. They were moved mainly because they were part of the recent mass derailing of doctrinal threads. Abigail's threads themselves were an attempt to keep things on track, but in my opinion they were keeping the problem going.

I have spent a chunk of my day off editing and deleting offensive posts by Allan, as well as posts by other posters who quoted those offensive remarks. I limited myself to threads that had activity within the last two days, and further kept to the last two pages of each thread. it still was a bear to go through.

Although I am a frequent vistor to and participant in the Doctrinal Forum (in my other on-screen identity) - I do not read every thread every day. Other moderators visit the doctrinal forum less fequently than I do. Sometimes a barrage of insults has been launched, responded to and the thread has been re-railed before any moderators catch anything.

We try to be fair, but sometimes we're not. Our own opinions get in the way, as do time constraints.

We'll try to be more diligent...

Allan is currently in moderator queue, so anything that he says will be reviewed by a moderator before it is posted.

Clay, I understand that too, really. Especially the part about the look and feel.

I also get that they do not read every thread in every forum, nor could they possibly. So they generally only know there is a problem if someone complains. However, it seems to me, that to complain every time Allan posts would be to cause them even more work, so I opt not to go that route.

well, peeking in from between a pile of other urgent things....

somewhat speechless for having too much to say

somewhat amused and relieved

somewhat sad and still a bit peeved

and a tad embarrassed for my part in all this

...but mostly deeply grateful to the bone for a lot of people around here

(i can't tell you how many changes i have been through since first coming here)

and so...here i am, wishing i was a better writer

and hoping for a spot of time and space to sit down and contribute and participate again some day soon

Todd

48Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

49Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

50Hath not my hand made all these things?

51Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

52Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

53Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

54When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.

you are in good company Todd, for why is it that the

Word must be spoken directly and without hesitation,

to call things what they are

And yet to give room for change which some take and others don't