GreaseSpot Cafe

weird motorcycle insurance exclusions

Galen

I find this odd, so perhaps someone else can share some light on this issue.

We recently moved to Maine, and have been shifting our vehicle insurance policies to Maine. Now we currently have policies with Geico, and do not see any need to change, but each time that I move to a different state they want to re-write the policies saying that each state has slightly different liability laws. So we got the 'new' policies and various ID cards in the mail. Bonnie read through them to see what [if anything] had changed.

Well they added a phrase to my policy. Note, these changes did not appear in our automobile policies, only in my motorcycle policy. So these issues appear to be 'problems' only for insuring a motorcycle, and only while in Maine.

Motorcycle Policy Amendment

Maine

The following exclusions are added:

14. For bodily injury or property damage that results from nuclear explosion including resulting fire, radiation or contamination.

15. For bodily injury or property damage due to bio-chemical attack or exposure to bio-chemical agents.

Now these exclusions were not a part of the motorcycle policy in Connecticut, and they are not a part of the policies for our cars, even though the cars are insured in Maine.

Does anyone have any ideas or explanations?

Does Nova Scotia have nukes?

;)

I'll venture a guess that the exclusion is founded on the premise that during a nuclear or biological event, a motorcyclist will have a higher exposure to that stuff than someone riding in a car which (presumably) has the windows rolled up and the air turned off.

Maine is upwind of everybody.

I'll bet we'll be seeing more of these exclusions.

The insurance companies are taking a huge hit with these terrorist acts and if the business was a bombed McDonalds in pi$$edoffistan or a hijacked relief ship, somebody is paying dearly for this.

There are other issues asides terrorism that insurance comapnies are slowly gaining a hand on. It's a matter of economics.

Edited by herbiejuan

You better watch out for them Canadians, they are a troublesome bunch of migrant folks.

They came over here after the Mayflower so they can't be real Americans.

They supported the French and British too.

I'd be careful if I were you

LOL

Edited by herbiejuan

Galen I have had GEICO in three different states for more than twenty years - they pretty much take the path of least resistance in each state and in fact in some states they use different underwriters (they also have my homeowners policy). It is probably not GEICO's issue - it is probably that the state of Maine has put in place some fine and dandy law about bikers and nukes - like anyone in a car would fair 1 shake better - well maybe they would 1 shake... but not 2.

On the good side GEICO has always been responsive when the ex got into accidents.

V/R

Usually we call around for quotes, each time we move. But this time we did not. Just did not think about it.

???

When I was getting new license plates on our vehicles, I remembered that I needed to tell the insurance to change. Ooops.

I do like Maine's license plates, they do one Veteran's plate with a spot for combat medals, so I have a big Kosovo Combat medal on each of our cars, front and back. LOL

Connecticut did not have that. And it did not cost me anything extra. Down in Connecticut I could have gotten veteran plates but they would have cost me an extra $40 each.