GreaseSpot Cafe

Speaking with authority

CoolWaters

In twi it was all important to speak with authority.

I never thought to question this then...and since being out I've thought to question this only as it pertains to professional authority...seeing my doctor instead of just taking my neighbor's or my friend's opinion on what is wrong with me...or consulting an attorney instead of asking around for legal advice.

But you know what? Accepting authority in any form without first knowing the validity of that authority is pretty foolish imo.

In fact, when it comes to every day things...like making a decision about where to eat, or wondering what church to attend, or even wondering what circle of friends to build into one's life...the only actual authority one can have is one's own.

I have learned throughout the years to not give advice with authority, but rather to say that something is simply my opinion based upon my personal life experiences...and that one has lived one's life long enough to know what one needs better than I. (OK...I'm not real good at that yet...but I am working hard to be good at it.)

Recently on another thread I posted how very little experience I have had with 'official' twi teachings, classes, programs, etc. Right after I posted that information, it hit me all of a sudden to wonder then why did I fall so deeply into twit brain.

After much soul searching it finally boiled down to the authority people had in my life.

Yes, I gave them the place, but they took the authority gladly.

And it all started with them speaking with authority.

But it surely was NEVER God's authority. None of it ever lined up with biblical wisdom. There was never, ever any profit or blessing as the outcome of listening to such authority. Nope, it was never God's authority. The fruit proved that.

So whose authority did twi teach people to take?

My experience was that twi taught people to take their own authority.

And that led to the blind leading the blind.

From my experience.

And I still see people who are still twi indoctrinated taking authority in people's lives. Not Godly authority. Just, "I know better than you for your life or for life in general." authority.

You know what?

That's pure BS.

IMO.

:spy::dance:

Sigh. OM, why do you so often post just to stir things up or be snide or something? You don't really want to know the answer to that question...eslewise you would have seen that I have already answered that question...and that I answered it with biblical authority.

Nope, it was never God's authority. The fruit proved that.

If this statement is what you're referring to, it's hardly an answer, because there was a wide variety of fruit, both good and bad.

If you wish to analyze specific situations and say "this situation" or "that situation" wasn't on God' authority, I would likely agree with you depending on the facts.

One of the lessons my parents said they learned in the Corps was never to trust in men/women. Men might say they have authority over you, but they are not endowed with that authority no matter how high up the twi foodchain they were. They are as flawed and as natural as you. Thats one of the things that I believe destroyed TWI. Men thinking they were the head of the body of Christ and not Christ himself.

Welcome to the Cafe, nowgrown! TY for your post.

I was never in the corpse but I, too, was told something similar...except for those 'over' me, those who had been around longer than me, or those 'more spiritually mature' than me.

In other words, I learned that this attitude was reserved solely for those twi deemed worthy. I was never deemed so worthy.

alot of it is people pleasing.

the authority idea.

in the name of loving somone we allow them to persuade us .

authority is such a strong word. no one was held captive in twi.

I do believe when people went into programs they had to follow program rules.

same as everywhee eles that you want rules apply to life.

I think those who felt twi dominated their life to a point they could not take it they got out.

same as everything els in life..marriages.. jobs.. houses.. our relationships.

the authority is always our choice.

the ability to say no is another matter and a personal problem

no one was "deemed" or ever will be in your life unless you make the choice to have them be so.

why would anyone?

it is easier to not take your own account your own responsibility in life.. to say they said I should.

people can be idols.. god says no other God but him.

Edited by pond