GreaseSpot Cafe

Tish'ah BiAv

August 3rd is Tish'ah B'Av - it is the anniversary of the destruction of not only the first temple in Jerusalem (by the Babylonians in 423 BCE) but also of the second (by the Romans in 69 CE). It is said that on a spiritual level it represents man's decent into physical and spiritual exile. It is also said on the Shabbat before Tish'ah B'Av, that God will grant your soul a vision of the 3rd Temple to come, a vision we may not see with our eyes or conscious mind, but one our soul receives nonetheless.

This is the focus of my studies for the present time and I would love input from others.

Here are my thoughts so far . . . .. .

The temple represents God's dwelling place on earth. One possible parallel I see, but this is just on a very cursory level is that the destruction of the first temple represents Adam's exile from the Garden of Eden and the destruction of the second Temple represents the flood.

I will also share what I learn as I continue my studies.

Here's more . . .

The temple represents each individual, our inner being. As we draw down the Shechinah into our lives, by living in a Godly fashion (one deed at a time, one day at a time) we rebuild the temple. And I think it is interesting that it is in our times of despair (when we feel our inner temple is in chaos or perile) that we are most inclined to turn toward God.