GreaseSpot Cafe

The lady from Persia

RumRunner

Just got back from the mailbox - yes yes I know it is Sunday. I am lazy.

Walking back along side was a woman maybe in her 70's. I said hello and she said hello how are you with a slight UK accent. I asked her where she was from in England and she said I am from Persia, pronounced carefully as Per-si-a, but I lived in England for a few years. I told her it was a long time since I heard anyone call it Persia. Her reply was simple and provocative. Persia was not what it is today. I am glad to be an American now. I love being here.

Maybe this should be on Politics and Tacks but I think the message from her is more than politics and tacks. Enjoy your freedoms! She certainly does!

... Her reply was simple and provocative. Persia was not what it is today. I am glad to be an American now. I love being here.

Maybe this should be on Politics and Tacks but I think the message from her is more than politics and tacks. Enjoy your freedoms! She certainly does!

Thanks for sharing that with us - too often we don't stop to think about the individual when we see someone that appears to be "foreign." What a great reminder that nobody really looks like the typical American and generally speaking, we enjoy that about ourselves, our individuality.

Way to get me to think on a Sunday afternoon. Cool. :spy:

I met a very wonderful man about 7 yrs ago and he and his wife was from Russia. It took them 10 yrs. to get out of the country. The Russians are big on control and hoop movers. His father was the Gold Medal winner in Soccer and it meant nothing. THey had to hand over thier wedding rings and thier jewlry and other items....Im sorry I forgot the other stips in place. THey said thier lives were never private..if KJB wanted anything from within thier homes they had to allow them to come in and take it. THey were watched because they wanted out...I remember the tears as he told me...he was one thankful man.

ditto