GreaseSpot Cafe

Metop-A has launched successfully

RumRunner

Yes yes I know... what IS this doing on GSC... just fun for me

If you follow the link below, then select webcast, then select your choice of vid player (windows media seems best) you can watch a rebroadcast of the Metop-A satellite launch on a Soyuz launch vehicle that happened at about 9:30 Pacific time this morning.

Spacecraft achieved orbit at about 9 minutes after liftoff and is currently in Launch and Early Orbit Phase operations. Solar array will deploy in the next 20 minutes or so and internal sensors will start to be powered up and test.

http://www.videocorner.tv/index.php?langue=en

If you want more info on Metop/EPS go to http://www.eumetsat.int

I'm impressed, enthralled and delighted!

I've put my ideas out here before about environmental issues, but this really impresses me because it's showing a genuine global interest in monitoring our atmosphere - and whatever else they may be watching.

After reading some of the literature RumRunner linked to, I'm pleased that there will be another good set of eyes watching out for weather phenomena and especially severe storms.

Not only does it increase everybody's knowledge and understanding, but it" also just that many more eyes looking when a problem storm develops. Problem storms aren't just hurricanes and typhoons blizzards and tornadoes!

Remember the book and later film "The Perfect Storm"? I hear you saying, yeah but it wasn't hundreds or thousands of people who died....yadda. You'll remember that there was some idea of some impending danger...but nobody had any idea how bad it could have really become. Fishermen were used to taking some weather warnings with a grain of salt because of the scarcity of hard and fast data. There weren't any "magic eyes in the sky" to make such a forecast then. Now we've gotten a leg up on that.

Think about it. Fishing is a major industry for much of the world. Some of it is quite dangerous. Many species fished for food are found in cold weather-dangerous waters. How much less insurance would these fleets need to carry if they had a better handle on dangerous weather? How many fewer ships would be lost? How much more fish ( in terms of productivity) could be safely fished. Do you see that the more we know the better the job the less it costs in terms of money and lives?

In my mind this really is a big deal. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Edited by krysilis