GreaseSpot Cafe

Can you see God?

Received in email today:

The story is told of a small boy who approached his older sister with a question about God. "Susie, can anybody see God?" he asked.

Busy with other things, Susie curtly replied: "No, of course not silly. God is so far up in heaven that nobody can see him."

Time passed, but his question still lingered so he approached his dad and mom: "Dad and mom, can anybody see God?" "No, not really," Dad gently said. Then mom answered, "God is a spirit and he dwells in our hearts, but we can never really see Him."

Somewhat satisfied but still wondering, the youngster went on his way. Not long afterwards, his saintly old grandfather took the little boy on a fishing trip.

They were having a great time together. The sun was beginning to set with unusual splendor and the grandfather stared silently at the exquisite beauty unfolding before them.

On seeing the face of his grandfather reflecting such deep peace and contentment, the little boy thought for a moment and finally spoke.

"Grandpa, I was wondering if you can tell me the answer to something I've been thinking about for a long time. Can anybody ever really see God?"

The old man did not even turn his head. A long moment slipped by before he finally answered. "Son," he quietly said. "It's getting so I can't see anything else."

I'm not as old as the grandpa in the story, but it gets closer day by day.