GreaseSpot Cafe

Self-awareness

T-Bone

...Following are words to describe various emotions. One of the steps I listed previously is to pinpoint what one is experiencing/feeling.

Identifying (for me) what one is feeling takes away some of the "power" (if need be) that a particular emotion might exert. Not to suppress and not to necessarily act on it; but to identify it, sit with it, perhaps let it soak....and then release it/change it/regulate it/ whatever.... (Hope that makes some sort of sense. :blink: ).../quote]

Great post, Bagpipes!!!!!!!!!!!! And really, thanks for all the work you've done on this thread. Your post I quoted here - really, really love it!...You know I'm always fascinated with things about how our heads work - and this is great - identifying our emotions.

Edited by T-Bone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-bone -- dont know where yet...used to work in xray in a hospital specializing in things like colostomies....ANd I have a bachelors in education and a daughter and husband with dyslexia. I love literacy/language/linguistics stuff and stay up on the studies but I also love the medical field.

As far as words as WORDS....I help those who can't find them to articulate to some degree that in many cases has no flourish.

Communication to others has a whole different slant than communicating to oneself in ones head or on paper.

Bagpipes has a great list....it should be called the "man-talk-to woman-list"...to give guys a list of acceptable words to help in conversations with women....because men speaking with men generally dont need emotion words...they speak to communicate simple facts, compete (the one up thing) and in general to assert themselves as the dominant male....Women call green chartreuse, men call green -- uh-- green. need I say more..

...Bagpipes has a great list....it should be called the "man-talk-to woman-list"...to give guys a list of acceptable words to help in conversations with women....because men speaking with men generally dont need emotion words...they speak to communicate simple facts, compete (the one up thing) and in general to assert themselves as the dominant male....Women call green chartreuse, men call green -- uh-- green. need I say more..

I agree...at least you've got your facts in order [said with glee - :) ].

• 2 weeks later...
T-bone -- dont know where yet...used to work in xray in a hospital specializing in things like colostomies....ANd I have a bachelors in education and a daughter and husband with dyslexia. I love literacy/language/linguistics stuff and stay up on the studies but I also love the medical field.

As far as words as WORDS....I help those who can't find them to articulate to some degree that in many cases has no flourish.

Communication to others has a whole different slant than communicating to oneself in ones head or on paper.

WW what an interesting field of study! I've never persued either (communication/words and medical/health field) "professionally", but have been a peruser of studying both as a hobby and to help in areas I've worked in.

This stuff got me thinking lately about Helen Kellar (again), wondering what her inner voice/world/perceptions were like. I'd say her world was non-linear. Did she think with/in forms, rhythms, tastes, smells, gut feelings? I read a biography of her life some years back....incredible to me it is.

Good success on your endeavors WW!!

YW Potato and T-bone. Thank you backatcha too!!

Something I want to add (obviously) regarding the exercise I posted here.

Some Christians might view this exercise (which I know touches only a smidgeon regarding the subject of self awareness) as going within to "find" answers. Others may look at this as one being too self absorbed/preoccupied.

Might that be the case? Sure. Have I been there? Yes. Did it concern me when I was there? Some, but not overly.

The point is I was AWARE of what I thought/felt. Also I communicated quite a bit of what I wrote in the exercises with a trusted individual (outside of TWI) with whom I could bounce stuff off of.

This exercise won't work for everyone (and shoot might only have worked for me :blink: ).

What it did/has done for me was/has helped me become of aware of me: my heart, my rhythm, my body, my thoughts, my feelings. Through the process I became self exposed and turned my heart/soul more and more naked before God, nothing hidden consciously. I recognized I didn't/don't have answers in myself of myself. (Besides my "self" is actually in part a culmination of ancestry via biology & constitution, and experience/environment calculated.) For me I recognized that I cannot be fully filled without God, and ultimately without the Lord Jesus Christ as a real person in my life.

I focused on the emotional side of self awareness, because that is where my study has been....albeit selfish; my studies were to help meself. :) This topic is broader than emotions.

A few lines from Cry of the Soul help partially clarify thoughts/perceptions I am trying to put into words :

"(Emotions) are a voice that can tell us how we are dealing with a fallen world, hurtful people,and a quizzical God who seldom seems to be or do what we expect of Him. ......................................

.....We encourage honest inward examination for the purpose of gaining wisdom -- not only to explore the question 'what's going on here?' but even more, to respond to what we discover as we ask, 'what am I doing with God?' "

One of the things that has occurred to me since leaving the way is that if you don't know the name or word for something, it is very hard to call it real. In leaving the way, people have to start using a vocabulary they never either ha or cared to entertain becasue some a** told them those were "bad/evil/negative" things.

I I don't have the word and concept for manipulate prior to entering a cult...it will be extremely difficult for me to identify it.

One of the things that has occurred to me since leaving the way is that if you don't know the name or word for something, it is very hard to call it real. In leaving the way, people have to start using a vocabulary they never either ha or cared to entertain becasue some a** told them those were "bad/evil/negative" things.

If I don't have the word and concept for manipulate prior to entering a cult...it will be extremely difficult for me to identify it.

"Very hard to call it real": That rings clear to moi!

And if one is raised within manipulation (within his/her family setting) it is even harder to identify? At least until that manipulation has been exposed.

Something I want to add (obviously) regarding the exercise I posted here.

Some Christians might view this exercise (which I know touches only a smidgeon regarding the subject of self awareness) as going within to "find" answers. Others may look at this as one being too self absorbed/preoccupied.

Might that be the case? Sure. Have I been there? Yes. Did it concern me when I was there? Some, but not overly.

The point is I was AWARE of what I thought/felt. Also I communicated quite a bit of what I wrote in the exercises with a trusted individual (outside of TWI) with whom I could bounce stuff off of...

I I don't have the word and concept for manipulate prior to entering a cult...it will be extremely difficult for me to identify it.

Wow! Great relevant stuff here for a self-awareness thread – thanks Bagpipes and Washington! I thought of Psalm 4:4 "…commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still…" and II Corinthians 13:5 "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves…" ...Anyway, Bagpipes - I think the exercises you've mentioned would really help someone practice this reflective thinking mentioned in the Scriptures!

In my opinion TWI had me preoccupied with fitting into their cookie-cutter mold of what a believer should be. That was the opposite of self-absorption – I dunno – maybe I'd call that self-annihilation. Amazing how our true selves virtually disappeared – lacking the intellectual means to identify, articulate, or process what we really felt about something. Like you were saying Washington – if someone labeled certain ideas, concepts, etc. as bad or off-limits – we simply did not see the need to address those issues - they did not register on our radar screen. How convenient – for them.

Edited by T-Bone