GreaseSpot Cafe

Parallels Desktop for Mac - ROCKS

ChasUFarley

Okay... pinch me...

All y'all know about my saga with my PC dying and my getting an iMac G5 with Intel 2Duo...

Well, the cool thing about this is that I can run Windows...

I've discovered that there's some software that works better in Windows (mainly because it's not made for OS X), such as geaneology software that is just better in Windows. Period.

Not that long ago, we had a thread here about that... but I can't seem to find it tonight... I think I had something to the effect of "WHY would anyone want to run Windows on a Mac?" I just didn't get it.

Anyhow, last weekend I bought Parallels for Desktop for $79 and then Windows XP Home for $80 on eBay. Windows came in the mail today. Hubby installed everything for me. Windows XP is a virtual OS, in another window within OS X. It takes up half of the RAM and partitions the harddrive so that if I get a virus, it won't infect all of the Mac - just the Parallels/XP portion of it. I've installed software, tweaked the display and other window-ish things... it's like being on a PC - EXCEPT that it is faster.

I think I'm in love... this is da' bomb for sure...

I just gotta get spyware/virus protection now for sure.... this is too cool... (I'm posting this from XP, where I just installed FireFox...)

Bluzeman - yes, it is vmware - in fact, I could ALSO run Linux, Vista, etc. I've read that software developers love it because you can test software on all different OSs but all on the same machine. The other bonus is that you don't have to shut down and re-start to get the OS you want to work in - it's just in another window that you can work in, save, close, etc. - it doesn't feel that way - I felt like I was back at my ol' PC last night... (without all the interruptions...)

Edit Time: I want to add that part of the reason why I got it is that I have some software that for me to get the OS X version of it would mean $$$$ - whereas, I can achieve the same results with this for a little of this - $$. It's a godsend for someone who's gone from PC to Mac like I have recently done...

Edited by ChasUFarley