GreaseSpot Cafe

Phil Colvin

techmike

It was back in 1982 that Phil had left the services of the WAY. He actually did the serving and even was among the paid, for a time. That's when VP was still alive, of course.

He told me he served as some coordinator, or steward of some kind over the Way's aircraft division...

Someone has got to remember The Ambassador One. Right?

He told me a story about how the red cayenne pepper was always the first to get used up from the great mealtimes he was so privileged to have received while in service at headquarters.

When he got out, which was for reasons he refused to explain back then, but for which are obvious now, He first lived with Mike Myers and his wife in Redondo Beach, then he moved in with me in Lawndale. I was new to California, back then.

I'm Mike Lucido. I was a window cleaner and had remained one for 24 years.

I had some unique inventions he would remember.. one was a towel dispenser at my hip I used while cleaning windows.

He also told me he played the part of PATTON in one of the great plays under the big top at one of the Rock of Ages.

Once.. I mentioned his name about 10 years ago and I was told he had moved to Washington state. That left me without a clue.

He was the first person who had so much to share about the Word which really opened my eyes, more than anyone else who was also my first close buddy in the Word, sorta’ speak.

If anybody has any leads... it would sure be nice to make contact., once again..........

And this site is fantastic, too....!!!! ain’t it?

Edited by techmike

I got a private answer but no forum replies when I posted my Phil Colvin request a few years ago; my unanswered quest is on page 13 of this forum now. Subsequently I got one e-mail from him, but that was all. Otherwise, you knew him later than I did; my association was at Indy and then the 8th corps back in the mid to late 70s. We were a lightbearer pair in Durant OK. On the TX farm we sang a duet to split an extra sandwich at one lunch.

He also told me he played the part of PATTON in one of the great plays under the big top at one of the Rock of Ages.

Once.. I mentioned his name about 10 years ago and I was told he had moved to Washington state. That left me without a clue.

He was the first person who had so much to share about the Word which really opened my eyes, more than anyone else who was also my first close buddy in the Word, sorta’ speak.

The Patton thing came as a result of that movie being screened for us in the corps. I helped him out with his original performance at Emporia. While it was of course tailored to fit in with what we were being taught, there was no denying his unique personal touch. the parody of George C. Scott's opening speech of the movie seem to come to its peak with the way he rendered "Allright, you sons of God..."

At the following ROA, it might have been corps week, there was an announcement made requesting whoever had any army type boots and other army looking gear to please contact Phil, and I as well as some other 8th/6th corps around knew what was coming.

I don't remember Phil doing anything halfway or half heartedly. Yes, I knew him in TWI, but I guarantee that part of him was Phil and I would guess he has always been that way. He worked in refinishing for a while, and once I helped him transport a large and heavy dresser he had finished for DM from the shop to the Martindales' apartment. We loaded it into the back of a pickup and I drove the short hop very slowly while he stood in the back with the dresser to be sure it didnt get bumped on the way. We then carried it carefully into the apartment under DM's watchful eyes. Later he would remark at how happy she was with the work he did.

If you're still around, I'll see what I can do about getting back in touch but no guarantees. E-mail is on my profile BTW, it is smile092850@hotmail.com

Edited by Lifted Up