GreaseSpot Cafe

New cpu

For anyone who has an old clunker like mine

(circ.'98), upgrading the cpu on the motherboard can make all the difference in the world, as it did in my case.

I thought my pc was on its last legs - it had been constantly crashing (especially while scrolling down a page), and running sluggishly, despite having added more RAM memory and even replacing the hard-drive. I thought for sure my entire PC was a lemon. It was common for my PC to crash at least 2-3 times a day, if not more.

Then more recently my attention turned to the cpu, which in my machine was a Cyrix II 333, which, as I learned in the process of going through reviews, are notorious for overheating.

One acquaintance even nicknamed it a "space-heater". These chips may be adequate for office apps but are absolute dogs when it comes to multimedia applications.

So I decided to try replacing the old "space-heater" with a new chip. Originally I wanted to replace it with an Intel, but Intel stopped producing chips for the "socket 7" plug on the motherboard. So I went for an AMD K6-2 350.

This PC hasn't crashed once (!) in the two weeks since I installed it. Unbelievable. It's running with so much better, with more zip and stability. It's like having a new computer.

So if you have an older computer like mine, which has the original factory-installed cpu chip in it, and are disatisfied with the way it's been running, don't give up on it yet - especially if the chip inside of it is a Cyrix - replacing the cpu can make a radical difference. And it's very easy to replace, providing you have the manual for your motherboard (if not you can often find them online).All that is required is changing a few jumpers, taking out the old fan/cpu and plugging the new one in.

And the best news of all for those with older computers - new parts are very inexpensive.

I picked up a new AMD k6-2 chip on ebay for only $11.

Danny

Heck, you can replace your motherboard for $50, then buy a 1GHz Intel Celeron CPU for $40 and 256 MB of RAM for another $25. More than triple your new performance for about a hundred bucks.

See www.mwave.com. They'll even assemble and test your motherboard bundle for another nine bucks. The last four computers I've built have come as parts from Multiwave, and none have given me a lick of trouble.

Thanks Zix. I'll keep that in mind next time I have an extra hundred bucks to play with, or should I require warp-speed in Microsft Word. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I really am quite pleased with my $11 upgrade at the moment. I can't get over how stable this thing is running.

And if one can get by with upgrading the cpu at that price, one can take their savings and buy high quality stuff like THIS

Danny

[This message was edited by TheInvisibleDan on April 03, 2003 at 1:28.]

I agree with Zixar. Man, that computer is ancient by todays standards! A lot has happened in 5 years.

Windows XP is a must - no question about it.

Pentium 4 processor or equivalent is a must

Minimum 256 meg of ram is a must.

32 meg graphics card minimum is a must

Anything less is causing counterproductivity and could actually be COSTING you money in greater scheme of things.

This is not warp speed, just the beginning stages of what is a normal computing experience.

Best thing you can do is to throw that computer away. I have one that I will be throwing away soon and it is a Pentium II which I paid $1800 for. It hard to even give older computers away anymore. It is a disservice.

"Best thing you can do is to throw that computer away. I have one that I will be throwing away soon and it is a Pentium II which I paid $1800 for. It hard to even give older computers away anymore. It is a disservice."

No argument from me that my pc is ancient history comparatively speaking - as the new technology you described has probally become obsolete by the time you finished typing your post. But this old horse nonetheless accomplishes what I need it for, and is preferable to having no computer at all.

As for "throwing" or giving your old pc away, perhaps you might try a thrift store, soup kitchen or the Salvation Army, or inquire with the local schools or libraries in your area. It would be a "disservice" to simply throw something like that away (providing it's running okay), when I suspect there are a number of folks out there still without a computer, who may not share our fortunate circumstances, who would probably be in heaven to have your garbage.

Danny