GreaseSpot Cafe

Reaching Back

We were taught that the body was made to reach ahead but reaching back is also something an athlete must be adept at.

Just as we are able to be agile at reaching back into our past and discerning the good from the bad, the happy from the sad. For our past becomes spiritually discerned.

We should also be especially adept at reaching ahead too, but reaching back should not be neglected for there are many lessons and loves of the past that should be remembered. Just as the past has many lessons that are better left forgotten. The past must be often faced in light of the new spiritual identity in Christ Jesus. We need to be strong in the lord past, present and future.

One must reach back as far as possible on order to hurl a javelin as far ahead as possible...

Though we keep our eye on the target/goal/mark/prize we still reach back in order to achieve forward momentum.

Edited by DrWearWord

why is this in a doctrinal section?

to me it is common sense.

one day i learned to walk I learned if i did not do it in this way I would fall down and get hurt, so i mastered walking many years ago. step by step.

so today i woke up and i remembered walking when i was a baby and i used that knowledge to do it today ta da!!

why is this something you struggle with or want to discuss?

I am assuming your thinking of the bible verse that says "forget the past or soemthing".

that is about the time i was learning to walk and fell into a tree and hurt my self and cried.

I can forget about it now I have mastered walking and learned to look for the objects in my path.

it is behind me because i aint gonna do that again.

or i can get stuck and still be crying about how much that hurt and how unfair that lesson in walking was for me.

im stuck as a victim.

can you go a litle further in your exspectations of where you want this thread to go? doctrinal or not.

maybe it is about you think because of the numbers of people" praying in a corn field "( I think he is talking about twi and the number of folks who took the pfal class evan) is what brought you here today.

in other words because of fact you go through a backwards motion with your arm you can move the spear forward to throw for the future. remember and use our past errors and blessings from the past.

ok.

and?

why is this in a doctrinal section?

to me it is common sense.

one day i learned to walk I learned if i did not do it in this way I would fall down and get hurt, so i mastered walking many years ago. step by step.

so today i woke up and i remembered walking when i was a baby and i used that knowledge to do it today ta da!!

why is this something you struggle with or want to discuss?

I am assuming your thinking of the bible verse that says "forget the past or soemthing".

that is about the time i was learning to walk and fell into a tree and hurt my self and cried.

I can forget about it now I have mastered walking and learned to look for the objects in my path.

it is behind me because i aint gonna do that again.

or i can get stuck and still be crying about how much that hurt and how unfair that lesson in walking was for me.

im stuck as a victim.

can you go a litle further in your exspectations of where you want this thread to go? doctrinal or not.

Doctrinal is always a good start. :)

The process of remembering and how that relates to the directives of the word of God is for us to reach ahead.

It seems something is either here or there but the twain never appear to meet.

Something is superlative and absolute and the past must remain like, "suppressed".

Like we are supposed to become brainwashed and disassociate ourselves from the life that has brought us here thus far. We are supposed to place a schism between our spiritual family and earthly family/friends. As some notion that we cannot both identify ourselves with this world and with the spirit and still remain in fellowship with God.

In light of the this law of division unity is destroyed and the walk of the law of liberty is cut off.

Edited by DrWearWord

Doctrinal is always a good start. :)

The process of remembering and how that relates to the directives of the word of God is for us to reach ahead.

It seems something is either here or there but the twain never appear to meet.

Something is superlative and absolute and the past must remain like, "suppressed".

Like we are supposed to become brainwashed and disassociate ourselves from the life that has brought us here thus far. We are supposed to place a schism between our spiritual family and earthly family/friends. As some notion that we cannot both identify ourselves with this world and with the spirit and still remain in fellowship with God.

In light of the this law of division unity is destroyed and the walk of the law of liberty is cut off.

Lol, now I'm confused. Did someone suggest we should remain or become suppressed? Did someone suggested we should place a schism between our spiritual family and earthly family? (I mean here on the forums, anyone who was in TWI in the 90's knows Martindale and company certainly suggested such things).

Personally, I am thankful for my past, it has helped build me into the person I am today. Certainly I endured hardship and pain, I think most people who grow into adulthood experience such things in the process. But out of that hardship and pain came strength, or at least a recognition that I have strength.

Edited by Abigail

We were taught that the body was made to reach ahead but reaching back is also something an athlete must be adept at.

Just as we are able to be agile at reaching back into our past and discerning the good from the bad, the happy from the sad. For our past becomes spiritually discerned.

We should also be especially adept at reaching ahead too, but reaching back should not be neglected for there are many lessons and loves of the past that should be remembered. Just as the past has many lessons that are better left forgotten. The past must be often faced in light of the new spiritual identity in Christ Jesus. We need to be strong in the lord past, present and future.

Please clarify. This post sounds like a horoscope--full of deep meaning until you think about it.

The body can reach ahead or behind, reaching ahead is much easier. What does that have to do with memories?

Athletes skills really don't translate well into my life. I'm not part of a team trying to win the Big Game. Reaching back to grab a football is something I have never done even once in my life. (But I'm great at ping pong--a game where you rarely reach back!)

I don't think people can discard memories, the brain doesn't work that way. Even with stop! thought! renewed mind! get busy on a bible verse!, the memory is still there. If it is a troubling memory, not thinking about it won't make it not troubling. So I don't really understand how lessons of the past are best forgotton...because they are still in the memory, even if unspoken, and unfaced. And aren't the lessons of the past , understood, how we gain experience and wisdom? How do you understand them if you refuse to examine them?

Does the Word of God erase memories? Not that I'm aware of.

I guess reaching back with our arms is supposed to be a lesson about our past memories--it is easier to reach forward--the future? Or something like that?

Are you trying to say quit thinking about the negative past? Or quit posting about it? Boy, that would be a new one for GSC!(I'm being sarcastic here)

Reaching for the future--humans, whatever their spirituality, are lousy at predicting the future. We live in the NOW. We plan for what seems the likely future...but we never know for sure what it will be.