GreaseSpot Cafe

Question about a jigsaw

Cowgirl

Hi Herbiejuan.........................thanks, I should of explained myself a little better, I'm in the middle of building a chair out of driftwood and I'm working on the arms, I want to do a "mirror cut" right down the middle of a piece of driftwood that is about 3 inches thick so that the arms will look the same on either side of the chair, so could I do that with a jigsaw, cut right down the middle?

Cowgirl

I'd go for the bandsaw as you can stabilise the wood you are cutting (I'm assuming you have a particular outcome in mind for all this) and can guide the cut most carefully to achieve the expected outcome. I remodeled an old house, built furniture and turned bowls and I have as yet to see a situation where I needed a black and decker jig saw to make my cuts but that is just me your milage may vary...

Stablising the cut on a bandsaw...

I have made several carriages to make cuts on the bandsaw and I suggest you look into Taunton Press's woodworking library to learn how to make what you have in mind to come to pass. I took many of their suggestions and used them to creatre my own method of dealing with stuff.

Edited by herbiejuan

Herbie is more experienced than I am, but 3" sounds like a lot for a jigsaw, unless you have a longer blade than I've seen used. A reciprocating saw has a longer blade, but would be a little difficult to get a good flat cut I'd think.

Maybe just take it to someone with a bandsaw and give them a buck ... or a smile.