GreaseSpot Cafe

Is Dell still a good buy? or a goodbye.

igotout

I mean their stock, not their computers.

Goey - would you still buy it?

I owned it for years, never made any money on it and sold it off recently at a slight loss. Probably bought at the wrong time.

Hot computer sales seem to have slowed for some reason. And they are so dirt cheap now.

Remember when it was hard to find anything decent for less than about $1,800 or so off the shelf? And I think I paid over $200 for an extra 64 meg of ram once.

Dell has had a stellar past but sometimes I wonder about their future.

But I suppose the same can be said of most companies these days.

Igotout, this is completely off your topic, but maybe you can help me. My work is going to get me a new computer. They asked me to go to the Dell site, find what I need and them let them know the stats so they can order it for me.

I need something that will allow me to build our website, handle PhotoShop, Quark and other miscellaneous programs.

I am thinking the Dell Dimension 4550 is what I need. Most of the Key Features say a maximum speed, size, etc. Cost is definitely an issue, so although I would like to say "max out on everything", I can?t in good conscious do that.

What would be an efficient computer: Processor, Memory, Storage?

I really am computer illiterate. It is like with my car. I can change the oil and drive it but I can?t really explain what makes one car more powerful then the next.

Thanks,

Jesse

The faster the processor and the more the RAM (what you call memory), the better the computer. Storage is fairly standard, although you can get faster or slower storage devices. Some hard drives (storage) have a faster access/throughput speed than others, but even as fast as the fastest one is, this is currently considered the "bottleneck" as far as computer speed goes.

Processor speed is whatever it is - the latest model will have the fastest processor (generally speaking).

So what you max out, as much as feasible, is the RAM. And if you are doing lots of screen stuff, get more Video RAM too.

Oh, and Ig, a lot of corporate computers are beginning to be fully depreciated, and decrepit.

Remember 1999? Everyone was waiting for Y2K to pass before investing in new PC's, because of the investment in Y2K changes.

So the year 2000 saw a surge of PC purchases by corporations.

I expect a similar surge, although I expect it to start slower, not hit the same peak, but last longer than the one in 2000.

In other words, just about any decent computer company's stock should start picking up about Q2 or 3 of this year.

That being said -

I don't have complete faith in Dell, mostly because their boxes are filled with proprietary components - or at least they used to be. Which means that if a diskette drive or a hard drive fail and need to be replaced, the whole computer has to be packed up and shipped off to Dell Corporation.

That may no longer be true, but it WAS true a few years ago.

Jesse - for the everyday user I believe Dell is the best brand out today.

Steve - Dell has wised up. They do not have proprietary components any more. You can mix and match a lot. In fact you can FIANLLY order a Dell with no monitor if you want.

Dell's are lame for most power modders and "hot rodders" but they are actually real nice for most everyday users. And they have excellent return policies and warranties.

Jesse - that 4550 looks nice! Very powerful for everyday use. Get no less than 512 meg of ram.

Make sure you are getting USB2.0 support on your motherboard. I think those Dells have it in front which is nice.

Save $120.on that high end 128MB Radeon graphics card they are pushing on you. Most programs or even games do not require such a monster. Not long ago the GForce 4 was the worlds best. Get it.

Hard drive. Why get anything less than 100 gigs of storage?

Don't cheap out on your speakers. Just go out and get your own from Best Buy. Dell's speakers are lousy. Choose the NO SPEAKER option. Go with their standard SoundBlaster live 5.1 sound card. Excellent choice. Second best in the world.

Why not get a 19" monitor? I would go with their 19" M992 Flat CRT Monitor [add $100.00].

Thse are some basics.

Have fun with your new computer. By the way, the new Dells are almost silent!

Yeah I think there will be a surge of computers being sold soon too. But they are so cheap these days. I am wondering if the profit margins are too low.

[This message was edited by igotout on March 03, 2003 at 21:25.]

Thank you Steve!, RB, and John for your input. I feel much better about spending the shelters money. The computer I do have at work is a Pentium and it?s maxed at 48 ram. So I guess anything is going to be better then what I have.

Anyway, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Shelly