GreaseSpot Cafe

Doojable --- This is for you

dmiller

Dooj -- here's the song we were talking about in chat tonight.

This isn't the best version, but it will suffice.

Ron was right -- 100 year old songs *get the message across*.

Perhaps this should have been in the *music lover's* thread,

but I thought it might get lost there.

LORENA

Here's the other one I mentioned -- by John Hartford. ;)

Oh wait! The second song was in a differernt discussion! My bad!

John Hartford--- may he R.I.P. 12/ 30/ 1937 to 6/ 4/ 2001.

Edited by dmiller

With dialup, the youtube thing doesn't really work for me, so I've never used it.

If you can find "Lorena" and/or "Just Before the Battle, Mother" by the 97th Regimental String Band, do so. I knew these guys 15 or so years ago and they do the definitive versions of these tunes (IMNSHO) as Rick Moock (big guy with the banjo), used to research the material and endeavor to use instrumentation, changes and harmonies that were completely authentic to the time.

cover.jpg

BumperStickerban.jpg

Dmiller - It's always appropriate to play Gumtree Canoe (in my not so humble) - what a treat to see that here!

Looking at the Lorena video, I have to say Jamie looks more like his daddy here than in later years - and I don't believe I recall seeing Roy Husky Jr. in bluejeans before - what a terrible shame he passed away so young. Incredible collection of musicians right there. What a thrill to stop and play those this afternoon! Thanks!

I usually don't prefer covers, but John's version of Piece of My Heart is my all-time favorite. Might be appropriate to add that here and I would, if only I were able to post youtube. (It's probably a good thing I'm youtube disabled, else I'd probably be in a 12-step program somewhere trying to get over the addiiction. LOL)

I sure hope we can take a trip on a steamboat this spring - I wonder if Lori's still game - I bet she'll be done with school by then...