GreaseSpot Cafe

Martin Luther King

Shellon

Thanks for sharing this Shellon . I watched Ophrah show on Monday and she did an outstanding job with the meaning of this holiday. I remember these days well i was "way Up north" where it didnt seem to be as riotous but i remember the sit ins and the fights and the news about busing the blacks in from the city. bomb threats in the school were common then.

Many of us students had ever seen a black person much less go to school with them. Once they came they remained segreated, tho. Allowed to go to school with the whites but always grouped together alone and few mixing in with another race. they got off and on the bus everyday, i imagine they were afraid. I felt courious of the entire affair.

I still live in the same area a few towns away , and we now have some minorities moving in, mostly high paid blacks who were raised without the issues many minorities may have faced back then.. they took advantge of the educatin and "turned white", in some eyes. the left the city instead of fighting for change to continue for minorities.

i have two girl friends who are balck neither would ever consider moving to the subarbs, no way, i think it is difficult for anyone I took a job a while ago in which I was the ONLY white person and until you work and live as such in society no one can really know how it feels. I didnt like being the minority at all. I wouldnt do it again.

we go with what we are comfortable with mostly. i raised my children to be accepting of All people and i have succeeded so I know we have made large strides.

this has always been a huge mind task for me as i come from largely racist people.. they NEVER saw them or had to in any way interact with people of color so naturaly they did not ever want too.

some who may not understand that, may say well that is just wrong. well is it wrong? imagine living your life and never seeing black people, not to assume they are bad, but certainly an un known and firghtening for parents trying to keep children safe. Much of my family still do not interact with many minoritites in rural america isolation is a common contribution so today i forgive my siblings for their wonder and ignorance concerning why this is an important issue.

I truly this year rejoice that we all have keep the fight to see Martin Luther dream live on in our own way.