GreaseSpot Cafe

Leather Furniture (Yeah, a really deep and life changing subject...)

ChasUFarley

Since there's a lot of pet owners here, I'd like you ask your opinion on something....

We have a couch & loveseat set that we bought brand new about 6 years ago. The cats love it and we have to keep it under slipcovers. It's made of a somewhat-rough, woven material - guess it's perfect if you're a cat. We have two cats - ages 6 and 10 years old. Both are indoor cats and both have their claws.

Anyhow, we also now have a dog and he gets on the furniture. He's not one to get slobber on the furniture and is rather clean but is long haired.

We also have two kids - ages 3 and 6. They're not allowed to eat on the furniture, other than on special occasions (i.e. movie night).

We're considering getting leather furniture but we're concerned about the cats ripping into it...

What's your recommendations or experience with this??

THANKS!!!

Hi Chas,

We have cats & dogs. A lot of them. Hair is a problem, and leather is easy to keep clean, so we have leather furniture in the rooms where the pets go.

However, you need to know that cats will rip leather apart just like anything else. What we do is consider our "pet room" furniture disposable. We buy for cheap or get for free used leather sets off Craigslist. I keep them covered when not in use by us. They stay nice for awhile, but if the time comes that they are trashed, we give them to a fraternity house and then get another Craigslist set.

This way, you get your leather, it looks nice, it's easy to keep clean. But, you won't rip your hair out when the pets damage it. Plus, you get to redecorate your room every couple years. Yahoo!

Hi Chas,

I wouldn't get leather furniture until I was sure the cats wouldn't rip it up if I were you.

Training and/or declawing are the only two way ways that I know to deal with it.

I'd hate to see you spend good money on something that will get trashed right away.

My sister-in-law, who has several cats and LARGE dogs, got leather furniture a few years ago.

Ironically, the cats did minimal damage but the dogs completely trashed it with their toe nails as they climbed up.

I suppose their weight may have been a big factor.

The cats probably would have trashed it too, though, if the dogs hadn't beat them to the punch.

Also, my sister-in-law keeps all her animals properly groomed so it wasn't because the nails had grown too long.

Edited by waysider

We have a 14 year old male and a 3 year old female.

We've had a leather recliner and couch for about 5 years and they have yet to bother it.

With the exception of when they used to get a little wired and get frisky we have had to scold them for trying to claw the leather. Once that was established we did not seem to have much trouble with them.

What might possibly have saved us is the barn type siding we have in the bathroom and family room.

They have a favorite spot in each room that they like to sharpen their claws on.

I guess they prefered that option.

We did have a cloth couch before and it was a battle to keep them off the corners.

I got a brand new leather loveseat last year and a few months later got a 7" leather sofa.

The cats LOVE them both. Have pretty much trashed the arms on both of 'em sharpening their claws and the like.

I've smacked 'em, yelled at 'em, thrown 'em outside, but they don't seem to get the idea. If I don't keep the arms of the furniture covered with a slip cover of some sort, they're right back tearing the leather to shreds. Cat's don't seem to train very easily. With any luck they'll all die soon.

Geeze, I've got a houseful of animals that I don't really care for. Isn't that just special? Everybody moved out and left their damned pets behind.

Anybody got a recipe for cat stew?

George - Have you considered re-homing the cats (and other pets, I assume?)

If I lived closer, I'd offer to help you out - seriously.

-------

On a side note - I think leather is going to be a mistake. In fact, it's sounding like new furniture is a bad idea altogether. I think I'm going to fix up the furniture we have now with foam pads under the cushions (the sofa is a sleeper and very uncomfortable now) and perhaps some nice new slipcovers. BLECH! :doh: