GreaseSpot Cafe

MOVIE: Daredevil

Zixar

We just saw an advance screening of the new Daredevil movie.

If you're a comic book geek, this one is a 10. If you remember issue #181, you already know the story. (and will get a lot of the in-jokes, like the guy Matt's father boxes, the name of the rapist in the first trial, Kevin Smith's cameo, Stan Lee's cameo, and if you are an &uumlber geek, even Frank Miller's cameo...)

If you're not a comic fan but you liked Spider-Man, you'll probably think it's just okay. A lot darker than Spidey. Great cast, good FX (not quite as good as Spider-Man though).

Colin Farrell steals every scene he's in as the psychotic hitman who never misses, Bullseye.

Jennifer Garner as Elektra is even more beautiful than she is in Alias.

Michael Clarke Duncan is perfect as Kingpin...So what if he's white in the comics?

Ben Affleck gives one of his most believable performances.

Don't leave immediately, as there is another scene inserted about a minute into the credits!

It is PG-13 for a reason, there is some bad language and some non-Comic Code violence.

I saw it, and I was not really dissapointed as I had no expectations going into the movie. I do think it's better than most of the other stuff in theaters right now, which isn't saying much. Still, if someone wants to go to the movies just to get out of the house I don't think it's too bad of a choice. There's decent action, and it's much better than all the Batman movies (since the first one in the 90's.)

I still remember reading the Elektra storyline in Daredevil 20 years ago (God, has it been THAT long???) and being blown away by the finale in issue #181.

Frank Miller rescued Daredevil from the bottom of the sales charts where it had been languishing as a bi-monthly up until issue #158. Miller had originally wanted to write and draw for Batman over at DC, but it never came to pass. Re-read the Elektra saga knowing it was originally a Batman story and the whole thing takes on a new perspective.

Of course, Miller later got his chance with the definitive Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, a high-water mark in the comics industry. Now THAT story would make a killer mini-series...too much plot for one movie.

Major Spoilers below! If you must read (it will ruin a major scene in the film) Hold your mouse button down and swipe the pointer across.

quote:
I did think it was interesting that Elektra got killed almost exactly like it was drawn in #181...

Zix:

Wasn't Elektra a recurring character opposite Wolverine in the X-Men comics? That's why the scene you mention in your last post was a surprise to me.

I saw the movie tonight and enjoyed it. I'll probably bring my 15-year old to see it next week.

Affleck does a great job portraying a blind man, even down to folding different denominations of bills differently so he can tell them apart. The way he has to sleep to tune out all the noise that his hyper-hearing assaults him with is pretty cool.

Michael Clark Duncan does make a great Kingpin. I almost forgot that he's drawn as a fat white man in the comics!

I loved the martial arts scenes, although there were some "personal physics moments" here and there.

The "pass me the honey" scene was a winner too. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

Oh, one more thing for those who have seen the movie: Watch the commercial the next time it comes on and notice:

Spoiler space!

quote:
The scene where Bullseye has his feet up on Kingpin's desk and says "That was for fun!", the commercial has digitally edited out the dead guard with the pencils through his neck that is lying in the background in the movie shot. It's that big white space behind his chair in the commercial.