GreaseSpot Cafe

Gods new bumper stickers

cheranne

1cp.gif

bumperstickers.jpg

bumperstickers2.gif By Kyron Millard

Issue #197, January/February 2005

Everybody knows that when Jesus isn't taking public transportation, he drives a nondescript beige four-door Honda Civic Hybrid while tooling around the inner city helping the poor.

What many people don't know, however, is that God the Father can often be spotted cruising the dirt roads of the Colorado high country in his slightly rusty but still trusty pearl white 1976 Ford F-150 that He converted to biodiesel several years ago. With seating for three, a gun rack in the window that He uses to hold His fishing rods and a cooler behind the seat, the slightly anonymous truck still manages to make a statement.

Having dropped the whole "prophet as a mouthpiece" idea some time ago, God has since employed the "tailgate covered with bumper stickers" method of public communication.

A sampling of some more of God's favorite bumper stickers:

Grape Juice?

Oh, Evolve!

Allah Allah, in come free!

Put Christ back in Xmas? How 'bout dropping all the co-opted pagan imagery and start celebrating His real Birthday — Aug. 6!

Warning: in case of rapture, I'll be just as surprised as you.

Who died and made you God?

Nietzche is dead.

I practice catch and release.

What happens in Vegas ... still gets back to Me. God: a dyslexic's best friend.

What would Jesus drive! I say a Ford Fiesta,I knew a Jesus that had one.

"For centuries, theologians have squabbled over the type of transportation the Lord would use: Public transit or private car? Stick shift or automatic? A sport-utility vehicle roomy enough for all 12 apostles or an economy model?

"One of Ostler's readers theorized that Jesus would tool around in an old Plymouth because "the Bible says God drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden in a Fury.''

But our research department found several other scenarios. In Psalm 83, for example, the Almighty clearly owns a Pontiac and a Geo. The passage urges the Lord to "pursue your enemies with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm."

(We're not sure how a Geo Storm could be considered terrifying, unless it had those scary shooting flames painted on the sides.)

Another scripture indicates that Yahweh favored Dodge pickup trucks. Moses' followers are warned not to go up a mountain until "the Ram's horn sounds a long blast."

Some scholars insist that Jesus drove a Honda, but didn't like to talk about it. As proof, they cite a verse in St. John's gospel where Christ tells a crowd, "For I did not speak of my own Accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say.'"

However, there is debate over whether the vehicle had bumper stickers such as "Save the Humans," "My other car is a flaming chariot" or "Honk if you love me."

Meanwhile, Moses drove a British Triumph sports car, as evidenced by a Bible passage declaring that "the roar of Moses' Triumph is heard in the hills."

Joshua drove a Triumph too, with a hole in its muffler: "Joshua's Triumph was heard throughout the land." And, following the Master's lead, the Apostles carpooled in a Honda: "The Apostles were in one Accord."

keyhole.gif