GreaseSpot Cafe

Hopkins

oenophile

I watched it last nite, it was a very realistic looking account of what happens, I presume it is, although I have nothing to base it on since I don't work in the acute medical field.  

It struck me as a huge burden to bear if you're the surgeon having to deal with losing lives and explaining the facts to the families.  I felt it was a little voyeristic filming the reaction the parents had when the Dr's told them their child was likely to die, I had to change the channel for a moment when the mom started to cry, it hit a little too close to home on that one.

I thought it was great though when they put the new heart in the child and it started beating as soon as they unclamped the arteries.  I am usually pretty squeemish when it comes to people blood and guts, and usually refuse to watch operations on tv, but that was amazing to see the new heart come to life.

Hi, oeno! :wave:

I thought that might be interesting, though I haven't seen it yet. I hope they show doctors as fallible human beings who are doing what they can, and sometimes doing amazing things. I think its time we not vaunt these guys up to cult status. Medicine does not have as much "scientific precision" as some want us to think. ;) :D

If you can't get enough of the operating room, you can always view some actual surgeries at Medline Plus, the National Library of Medicine's portal for the public. Nothing like seeing your procedure before having it done. :o

-- Shaz