GreaseSpot Cafe

Ex-TWI: Do You "Space Out"?

John M Knapp LMSW

But your point is well taken. Many people dissociate, not just cult veterans.

I like that "cult veterans".Wonder if you can be honorably dischargedfrom one?

Hi, frank,

I use "veterans" after some thought. "Survivors" is used with people who survived suicide or homicide events, such as the survivors of the Jonestown Massacre. "Victims" has taken on a nasty connotation, such as people who attract misfortune and never recover or move on.

"Veterans" are people who have been through hell, have survived, thrived -- and have tales to tell that society needs to hear.

J.

and you mike, love,ex

--

survivor is a good word too or is that overused? lol

there was a thread here a while back where some people got really upset about the use of "veterans" because of comparing war veterans to wow veterans but maybe that was because it was a wayfer thing, i don't know

i don't really care as long as i see the heart behind stuff

ps. i shouldn't say i don't know, i think that's exactly why

and i should say i agree totally

fighting for our country in the military should not be compared to being a culthead

ppppffffffttttttt

Which brings me to my next topic/question. Have you worked with people who on reflecting realize they weren't searching for anything until they were told that something was missing? As I look back the need to search was manufactured for me, and the illusion of needing to find God and get saved were made worse by everyone opposing my desire to find what I didn't know I needed until I was told I did.

"Creating the need": Yeah, it's a fundamental principle in all marketing & sales. No one was embarrassed by "wetness" until underarm deodorant ads told us to be so.

I don't know the proportion of "seekers" to those whose needs were manufactured in cults. But healthy numbers belong to both categories.

Some people don't fall into either category. Obviously children born or raised in a cult imitate their parents, whom they want to please, and are neither seeking of finding.

And many enter the cults due to pressure from family members or friends.

You bring up interesting points!

J.