GreaseSpot Cafe

Sun Worshipers

There was once a man who lived in a valley between two mountains, one mountain he called good and the other he called evil.

Each morning the good mountain would bring the sun and every evening the evil mountain would take it away.

This man lived many years watching the sun be given at morn and stolen at the twilight dim that he dreamed of a day where the sun would stay in the sky and shine more than merely an hour a day upon his face.

Yet the mountain that gave him the sun was very steep that even the birds would not rest in its peaks. The mountain which took his beloved sun was also seemingly too high to scale.

One day a prophet wandered down from the steep incline of the mountain the man regarded all his life as evil. The man took it as an omen that this prophet must be evil but the man scratched his head and thought that the evil mountain had always taken away the sun and now it seems to have given something in return, so the man hesitantly gave the prophet audience and listened to his tale.

The prophet said to the man I have traveled many a night’s journey to scale this great mountain. The man lifted his eyes and said you call this mountain great? I live for one hour a day where the sun shines upon my face and then this great mountain of yours takes the sun and this valley is once again cast into the shadows of this mountain you so humbly worship. The prophet was amazed because he finally began to see.

Tears came to the prophets eyes and he cried for what seemed inexplicable, I now understand! The prophet said, I once lived in a valley just as you do and one day I thought I would seek out the source of the sunlight’s birth place.

So I set my own evil mountain to my back and climbed to the heights of the heavens to find the sun’s cradle. Once I reached the good mountain's summit I saw the earth give birth to the sun and it rose in the sky and it shown down on my face and there was so much light I nearly went blind. Yet I could only bask in the sun for a day and the sun continued upon its path crossed over my own evil mountain then was taken into the arms of the earth again.

The man began to realize that his evil mountain was this prophet's sacred mountain. Suddenly he began to feel ill in the pit of his stomach. He wondered if this prophet was an apparition sent only to blunt and buffet his own purpose in life.

The man fell to the ground at the feet of the prophet and said, "Please take me to the sun!" The prophet agreed and took the man by the hand and led him up the mountain he once thought to be evil. It is written the prophet and the man they chased the sun from valley to mountain seeking nothing but the warmth of the sun’s light upon their brow till the last twinkle of light left the sky.

DrWearWord

Edited by DrWearWord